C2C pattern

Totstv24

Question

Hello,

I'm looking at making my own graphghan pattern.

I'm looking to make a cartoon owl, but was just wondering which pictures I can use to turn it into the pattern.

We are also doing a craft fair so if all goes well I would like to be able to sell it..

But not sure what I'm allowed to use or not..

Or where to find some that I am allowed to use (even if I have to pay)

7 answers to this question

I think the main thing you'd have to be concerned about is that it's illegal to 'manufacture' and sell images of licensed characters--like Mickey Mouse, Batman, etc.  I can't think of too many owl characters that might be licensed.

Here is a cute Lion Brand pattern of an owl, corner to corner, already designed for you - I'm sure this would be OK to sell at a bazaar.  It's a baby blanket, you could add more 'frame' squares around it to make it bigger.

Totally not c2c or graphed but it's adorable.

Angry owl graph, another graph but this would be huge I think (and not c2c)

If you wanted to consider making squares , another owl square

Pinterest is full of illegally posted patterns.  However you are probably OK if the owl is not a copy of a specific, recognizable and probably licenced cartoon owl.  

Licensed images are different from copyright.  Licence owners own the distribution rights of the image of a specific character or logo, so you don't have the right to make Mickey Mouse or sports team logo blankets and sell them without an agreement with the licence holder.

Copyright refers to words and images of a book (or pattern), not the thing made from a pattern.  

I'm certain it would be OK to use the patterns I've posted to create a blanket for a local craft fair.  Lion Brand has a bit on their website that specifically says it's OK to sell something you've made from their patterns; I think you can find this disclaimer on most yarn company websites.  

The graphed links are quite simple and stylized... you might look at some owl photos and make a simple, original sketch of your own on graph paper.  There are sites where you can print off graph paper if you don't have any handy.

One thing to consider is to figure out your stitch gauge (roughly) for the type of stitch you want to use...example, the Lion Brand uses a box stitch, which is quite large, for a 'grid', and there are 41 grids on a side. The pattern I said was 'huge' is 100x150 grids, so you'd probably want to use SC.

There is a lot of clip art sites, some free, some paid, do a search for owl clip art on etsy, lots of cute ones there (UrbanWillow has some cute ones, with a note commercial use ok)

here is a tutorial on pixel graphs also  http://www.repeatcrafterme.com/2016/03/how-to-create-your-own-pixel-graph.html

and her owl afghan   http://www.repeatcrafterme.com/2015/11/crochet-owl-c2c-baby-blanket-with-lion-brand-yarn.html

Archived