am i reading my pattern wrong...?

zaojazaki

Question

Hi,

im kinda just stuck...im new to crocheting this is my first wriiten pattern im working on..and i just cant seem to get it right.

so it says 

chain2, turn; hdc in next 4hdc, 2hdc in next hdc, hdc in next 3hdc, 2hdcin next hdc [hdc in next 2hdc, 2hdc in next hdc] 3times, hdc in next 11hdc, [ 2hdc in next 2hdc, 2hdc in next hdc] 3 times, 2hdc in hdc, hdc in next 3 hdc, 2hdc in next hdc, hdc in last 5 hdc --59 hdc

so in the last row i ended with 49 hdc...and wat i understand is in this row im supposed to end with 59hdc...but every time im done with this row i end up with 64 hdc...am i reading the pattern wrong...wat should i do... how do i find my mistake...???

i hope u guys understand wat im trying to ask...do let me know if more detail is needed...im rlly stuck..

regards...stuck crocheter :(

11 answers to this question

hi, welcome to the ville!  

by my count there are 10 increases in that line.  each "2 hdc in next hdc" is an increase.  so if you had 49 before, yes this row should equal 59.  

do you understand the square brackets [ ] ?

what is the name and location of the pattern?

hi, welcome to the ville!  

by my count there are 10 increases in that line.  each "2 hdc in next hdc" is an increase.  so if you had 49 before, yes this row should equal 59.  

do you understand the square brackets [ ] ?

what is the name and location of the pattern?

thankyou for the welcome..:)

wat my understanding about the square brackets is that whatever is written in brackets is repeated by the number of times that written outside the brackets.

for instance 

[hdc in next 2hdc, 2hdc in next hdc] 3times,

this would mean i have to

half double crochet in the next 2 half double crochets then i have to do 2 half double crochet in the next half double crochet and i have to do this 3 times.

is this right or am i reading it wrong...?

the pattern im trying to do is a candyland cardigan for a 6 month old. its by red heart in a booklet called baby shower gifts to crochet...with the isbn number being 978-1-942021-02-5

thankyou soo much for ur reply...i hope to hear from u soon...i hope i can get this figured out..

Here's a 'diagram' using numbers for the row before the increases, 4 groups of 10 numbers, the last group with 9, for 49 total.  Read this right to left, the same order that you will be working the stitches in the row with the increases.  (ignore the spaces, hopefully they make it  a little easier to read / count)

987654321 0987654321 0987654321 0987654321 0987654321   

The same thing, except the row above shows the number of stitches that are to be made into each stitch in the row below

111112111 2112112112 1111111111 1121121121 1211121111   <---read right to left

Re-pasting your directions, you can see (as Magiccrochetfan said) that you will be making 10 increases in the row, so 49 increases to 59.

chain2, turn; hdc in next 4hdc,2hdc in next hdc, hdc in next 3hdc, 2hdcin next hdc [hdc in next 2hdc, 2hdc in next hdc] 3times, hdc in next 11hdc, [ 2hdc in next 2hdc, 2hdc in next hdc] 3 times, 2hdc in hdc, hdc in next 3 hdc, 2hdc in next hdc, hdc in last 5 hdc --59 hdc

ok so i think im reading the pattern wrong...

when i read the pattern this is wat i understood

11111211  1222222222  2111111111  1121121121  1211121111                                                                                                

987654321  0987654321  0987654321  0987654321  0987654321

chain2, turn; hdc in next 4hdc,2hdc in next hdchdc in next 3hdc2hdcin next hdc [hdc in next 2hdc, 2hdc in next hdc] 3times, hdc in next 11hdc, [ 2hdc in next 2hdc, 2hdc in next hdc] 3 times, 2hdc in hdc, hdc in next 3 hdc, 2hdc in next hdc, hdc in last 5 hdc --59 hdc

i color cordinated the text with the numbers in the diagram so u know wat i did in each stitch....as far as i think im reading the pattern wrong..

wen i read ur diagram i understood everything untill i reached the part where it said to hdc in next 11 hdc 

but then where did the 12 hdc come from.... and after that im reading everyhting wrong...

i know im reading the pattern wrong..but i dont know how im reading it wrong...

if u could just clarify wat im reading wrong...that would be very helpfull

i hope this makes sense...

Here's a 'diagram' using numbers for the row before the increases, 4 groups of 10 numbers, the last group with 9, for 49 total.  Read this right to left, the same order that you will be working the stitches in the row with the increases.  (ignore the spaces, hopefully they make it  a little easier to read / count)

The same thing, except the row above shows the number of stitches that are to be made into each stitch in the row below

Re-pasting your directions, you can see (as Magiccrochetfan said) that you will be making 10 increases in the row, so 49 increases to 59.

chain2, turn; hdc in next 4hdc,2hdc in next hdc, hdc in next 3hdc, 2hdcin next hdc [hdc in next 2hdc, 2hdc in next hdc] 3times, hdc in next 11hdc, [ 2hdc in next 2hdc, 2hdc in next hdc] 3 times, 2hdc in hdc, hdc in next 3 hdc, 2hdc in next hdc, hdc in last 5 hdc --59 hdc

from wat i understand 

2 hdc in next 2 hdc 

is that i do 2hdc in one stich and then i do 2 more hdc in the next stich. is this right or wrong?

and maybe this would be helpful for u to know that this row that im working on is my second row of the pattern the first contained of all hdc.

you have run into a poorly worded pattern!  in the 2nd set of [ ] where it says 2 hdc in next 2 hdc, you are reading that as 2 hdc in each of next 2 hdc....which IS exactly what it says.  I was expecting it to be the same as the first set of [ ] so i read it as being the same, hdc in next 2 hdc, or "for the next 2 hdc make 2 hdc" in other words do not increase here.  

(i think perhaps Granny Square read it like i did, but i don't know for sure)

i can't find any online references to this pattern leaflet so i don't know what it looks like.  oh!  wait a minute....i think this is the same thing (Crochet Today was connected with Red Heart) http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/candyland-sweater

and look at this comment regarding errata in the pattern http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/candyland-sweater/comments

you have run into a poorly worded pattern!  in the 2nd set of [ ] where it says 2 hdc in next 2 hdc, you are reading that as 2 hdc in each of next 2 hdc....which IS exactly what it says.  I was expecting it to be the same as the first set of [ ] so i read it as being the same, hdc in next 2 hdc, or "for the next 2 hdc make 2 hdc" in other words do not increase here.  

(i think perhaps Granny Square read it like i did, but i don't know for sure)

i can't find any online references to this pattern leaflet so i don't know what it looks like.  oh!  wait a minute....i think this is the same thing (Crochet Today was connected with Red Heart) http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/candyland-sweater

and look at this comment regarding errata in the pattern http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/candyland-sweater/comments

oh ok...i guess that means there is an error in the pattern...??

the first link that u sent is the cardigan that im trying to make...

and the second link just leads to a login for ravelry.com...so i couldnt read the comment... 

so do u think there are more errors in the pattern..? should i just drop this project and try something else..?

oh and thankyou so much for helping me out magiccrochetfan and grannys square...

at the first link, you will see some tabs at the right.  one says Comments, click on that and you will see where someone posted info about the errors in the pattern.  i don't know if you will have to sign up to Ravelry to do this but it is very good info.  

i don't know if there

are more errors in the pattern.  apparently it was also published in Crochet Today magazine.  i may have that issue, i will try to look at it later.  but given the fact that i misread the pattern line you posted, I may not spot the errors if any!   :think

one would think that since the magazine put the correction on their website, that Red heart would also post these somewhere, but if they have an Errata page, i can't find it.  well, better yet would be to simply CORRECT the pattern when they republished it!!!!  this kind of stuff irks me a lot.  Mistakes happen, can't avoid that, but good grief once they are discovered, fix them, publishers!  

and, you are very welcome for any help i may be able to offer.

and---I thought what you did in your post with the color coding for the different parts was very clever!  

I interpreted/misread that spot as Magiccrochetfan pointed out.  Sometimes our brains make assumptions that aren't written there, based on what we are used to seeing I suppose.  Sorry if I added to your confusion, and this could have been written (or tech edited) more clearly.

[ 2hdc in next 2hdc, 2hdc in next hdc] 3 times  = you're right, it's literally saying to make 9 increases in a row...but usually if a pattern meant that, it would say it more simply as " 2 hdc in the next 9 stitches ".

at the first link, you will see some tabs at the right.  one says Comments, click on that and you will see where someone posted info about the errors in the pattern.  i don't know if you will have to sign up to Ravelry to do this but it is very good info.  

i don't know if there

are more errors in the pattern.  apparently it was also published in Crochet Today magazine.  i may have that issue, i will try to look at it later.  but given the fact that i misread the pattern line you posted, I may not spot the errors if any!   :think

one would think that since the magazine put the correction on their website, that Red heart would also post these somewhere, but if they have an Errata page, i can't find it.  well, better yet would be to simply CORRECT the pattern when they republished it!!!!  this kind of stuff irks me a lot.  Mistakes happen, can't avoid that, but good grief once they are discovered, fix them, publishers!  

and, you are very welcome for any help i may be able to offer.

and---I thought what you did in your post with the color coding for the different parts was very clever!  

yea i wasn't able to see the comments without signing up...so i did join ravelery.com and got to see the comments...

i'm actually very new at crocheting so i watched a few videos on youtube on how to read patterns so i was thinking i was reading the pattern wrong the whole time...i would have never thought there was an error in the pattern...

ill try to see if i can find the corrections somewhere...u don't have to worry about going in ur magazines and finding the issue....u've helped alot already and im very thankfull... :)

oh hahahha....im happy u liked the color coding idea...i couldn't think of any other way to try to make myself clear.

anyways thanks alot for ur time and help...

I interpreted/misread that spot as Magiccrochetfan pointed out.  Sometimes our brains make assumptions that aren't written there, based on what we are used to seeing I suppose.  Sorry if I added to your confusion, and this could have been written (or tech edited) more clearly.

[ 2hdc in next 2hdc, 2hdc in next hdc] 3 times  = you're right, it's literally saying to make 9 increases in a row...but usually if a pattern meant that, it would say it more simply as " 2 hdc in the next 9 stitches ".

oh no it's ok...thankyou though for taking out ur time trying to help...:)

ikr...that's wat i was thinking if they wanted us to make 9 increases they could've been writtin it soo much more simply....oh well...now i know patterns could have mistakes...

Archived