Amigurumi skin color yarn

ocelotito

Question

Hi,

I have been crochetting amigurumis for a while and I am ready to try to make a doll. The problem is that I have not found a yarn with a flesh color that works. (I am making a fair skinned doll). The only one I have found in stores is a cotton one from sugar and cream. It is almost perfect, but it is cotton and the rest of my doll is acrylic so O don't know how that will work. I have bought a couple online only to discover that they are a completely wrong color when I see them in real life. Any suggestions? Thank you!

6 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville.

For me, any soft beige works for fair skin. There are a few lists of suggestions on the Internet. One is by freshstitches.com. However, I've made several ami pieces in the past and did not care for the Caron Simply Soft yarn for these projects. It is too soft and not enough texture.

Another color reference is by Owlishly.com.

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks for the suggestions. I agree with the caron. I haven't used it for the skin but tried for other projects and I didn't like the texture either. The vanna's choice in beige seems like it may work. The one that I am using is nice but the stitches look  different because it is cotton. It's like the rows are more pronounced.  My son wants me to crochet a doll that looks like him and he is very fair skinned.

If you like the cotton for color better than most, you could make the whole doll out of cotton. Or, make the body parts of cotton and any clothing and hair out of acrylic. Just make sure the gauges are the same so it looks uniform.

Thanks. So far this one seems to be working ok. It looks thinner but it is not as flufy as the acrylic I am using so the gauge is the same. I just had to change to a bigger hook because for some reason, I was crochetting tighter with the cotton. It's more "grippy" so it doesn't glide as much. I'll post a picture later, when I finish the head.

The color of the cotton is perfect, but I didn't like the texture. Because the individual strands are more noticeable and  it has not fuzzy like acrylic, it gives the doll a wrinked look. And every yarn I have found in that exact tone is cotton. I'll try the Vanna's choice next time.

Archived