help!

christy81

Question

I am new to crocheting and am teaching myself from books.  When I do my chain stitch I squish the yarn in between my fingers and the yarn ends up looking very flat.  Any tips on how to prevent this?  When I start doing a single crochet all my stitches look like one and it is hard to distinguish one stitch from the next.  Any ideas on how to improve this?  Thanks in advance for any and all help!!!  The picture is of my single crochet.

post-77625-0-97730900-1462752355_thumb.jpg

8 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the ville!

It will probably help if you tell us what books you are using; some of us probably have the same books and can refer to them. 

What kind of yarn are you using?  I think cotton may tend to get "squished" more easily than some other fibers that have more bounce such as acrylic and wool.   

In the photo I can't really tell that your chain sttiches look squished.  If they are they should go back into shape after you wash the item, or even just let it sit for a while.

It does look like you could be making slip stitches instead of single crochet.  But it may just be that the "legs" of the single crochets are not showing in the photo.  

Do you see how the top of each stitch is a V or almost a heart shape?  counting those is one way to count your sttiches.  Single crochet is a very short stitch and I foten find it hard to count, especially the first and last sttich of a row.  you can put a marker in those stitches, either loop a short piece of yarn into the stitch or a bobby pin.  

Even if the yarn in squished to begin with, it won't be after you toss the finished piece around. (If it's acrylic yarn, once it goes through the laundry it'll pop back to shape.)

Everything else is all just experience and practice. Your stitches look nice and even, which is huge for just getting started. Don't worry--we've all been there. I have yet to see a baby born crocheting.

Welcome to Crochetville!

It looks like you've gotten some great advice. I'd like to add, put the variegated yarn away for now. Get something that is light to medium, single color. Don't get white. Red heart super saver & Caron are good for learning. You'll find it easier to see the stitches.

I agree with redrosesdz--Red Heart SuperSaver and Caron yarn are excellent for learning.  Bernat Handicrafters tends to separate too much for my taste!

Sometimes it's nothing that you do ... it's just the yarn.  We've all dealt with yarn that splits too easily.  That's why it's best to start with a yarn that is wound tighter.  Also, solid colors (light to medium) are easier to see than white, dark colors and especially variegated yarn.

Archived