Crochet- Sweater pattern help needed

Butterfly Ink

Question

Hello. I am a self taught crocheter and I can usually figure out a pattern using logic or just being able to  see it in my head.  This EASY  :reyes pattern has me pulling my hair out!  I am at the row where it says join body and sleeves.  My stitch count is correct but if I total the stitches in row one, added up per the pattern, it comes to 142.  I am assuming that I am to work across the sweater an join the sleeve and work across the sleeve stitches.  However with that line of thought, I can get up to "dc in the next 21 sc and turn".  I do not have 21 stitches more stitches. I just cannot see how this pattern works.  I have included the link to the pattern, which is free, for anyone who is generous enough to help.

http://www.redheart.com/books/crochet-made-easy

JOIN BODY AND SLEEVES:

With RS facing, attach CA in first sc of Row 4 of Stripe Section. 

Row 1: Ch 3, dc in each of next 17 (20) sc, [dc2tog] twice, dc in each of next 26 (28) sc, [dc2tog] twice; dc in each of next 41 (45) sts, [dc2tog] twice; dc in each of next 26 (28) sc, [dc2tog] twice; dc in each of next 18 (21) sc, turn (Where in the name of all that is blue are these stitches?? :no )

post-77545-0-02047900-1462406626_thumb.jpg

post-77545-0-34570300-1462406666_thumb.jpg

7 answers to this question

I'm fairly certain something is missing.  Although the section title says 'join body and sleeves', nowhere does it tell you to add the sleeves.  

I assume you are making the larger size, since the 'joining row' directions adds to 143 stitches  (I'm counting the chain-3 as a stitch) plus 4 double decreases (8 decreases uses up 16 stitches) for that size :  143 + 16 is 159.  In this size, the body is 95 stitches, and each sleeve is 32 stitches, also for a total of 159 stitches. (body@ 95 plus 2 sleeves @ 64).  

So...although it doesn't say this, I suspect you are to work part way across the body for 1 front, then grab a sleeve and work over that, then go back to the body and work across the back, then grab the other sleeve and  work across that, then go back to the body for the other front.

I'm fairly certain something is missing.  Although the section title says 'join body and sleeves', nowhere does it tell you to add the sleeves.  

I assume you are making the larger size, since the 'joining row' directions adds to 143 stitches  (I'm counting the chain-3 as a stitch) plus 4 double decreases (8 decreases uses up 16 stitches) for that size :  143 + 16 is 159.  In this size, the body is 95 stitches, and each sleeve is 32 stitches, also for a total of 159 stitches. (body@ 95 plus 2 sleeves @ 64).  

So...although it doesn't say this, I suspect you are to work part way across the body for 1 front, then grab a sleeve and work over that, then go back to the body and work across the back, then grab the other sleeve and  work across that, then go back to the body for the other front.

Thank you for your help.  Unfortunately that is the pattern as it is written and I downloaded it directly from Red Heart.  If there is a correction to it I havent found it.  I agree with what you are thinking.  I am struggling with where those dc 2tog should be, because these stitches will ultimately shape this sweater.  Should I dc the 20 then pickup a sleeve and dc2tog twice on each side? There are only four stitches to use on each side (8 stitches total for sleeve joining)

Usually on raglans (at least the patterns I've done), there are 4 markers which divide the 2 sleeves and the back/ fronts, and you decrease at each side of each marker - 8 decreases.  Each marker has a sleeve decrease on 1 side, and a body decrease on the other side.

So for your pattern, Starting at the body edge Ch3, DC 20 (1 front), DC2tog, grab a sleeve, DC2tog over the first 2 sleeve stitches, work 28 DC across the sleeve-there should be 2 stitches left on the sleeve so DC those 2 together, then DC the next 2 free stitches on the back together, work 45 DC across the back, DC2tog, grab the other sleeve and DC the first 2 stitches together, work 28 stitches across the sleeve, DC the last 2 sleeve stitches together, DC the next 2 free stitches on the second front together, work to end.

GS:  I was hoping you'd chime in.  Before I responded, I had done the stitch counts a few times, but was not coming up with the same numbers.  As I was calculating, I kept thinking, "Granny Square would come up with the right numbers."  LOL

Ha ha, thanks. I really believe it often helps to 'draw a picture', In this case it was a list of numbers allotted to each bit to back into the instructions.

I still can't believe the pattern wasn't very clear, especially since it was geared for beginners.  And especially if someone hadn't made a garment, or a raglan before.

Archived