Re: Kitty Couches

JacquiP

Question

I am making the cat bed in the photo below and am a little confused by the headboard instruction.

The pattern states:
Row 1: Ch 104, dc in 4th ch from hook, dc in each ch across, turn (102 dc)
Row 2: Ch 3, dc in each st across, turn
Rows 3-4: Skip first st, sl st in next st, sc in next st, hdc in next st, dc in each st across to last 4 sts, hdc in next st, sc in next st, sl st in each of last 2sts, turn (101 sts, 100 sts).

I am a little confused by the stitch count for rows 3 & 4. Surely, by skipping the first st and then sl st in next st – and then sl st in each of last 2 sts - you would have a stitch reduction of 2 stitches on row 3. And then again on row 4, thus leaving a total of 98 sts at the end of row 4?

post-76459-0-25623900-1461060302.jpg

2 answers to this question

Right, slip stitches are often used to 'indent' the shaping of a piece (like, creating an armhole opening, where the slip stitches aren't used again), but they can also be used as short stitches for subtle shaping where stitches are made on top of them.  See how the stitches are growing in height - slst, sc, hdc and so on; so you are building a gentle ramp shape.

That is the cutest kitty bed...I know my kitty laughed at me when I tried to get her to sleep in 'her' bed...sigh.

Archived