Baby bonnet confusion

nancyaz15@hotmail

Question

I have made the sweater but am stuck on bonnet. From the fold back is where I am confused. What is the cast on edge?

BONNET - Using cream color yarn and 4.00mm hook ch62, 1dc in 4th ch from hook,

1dc in each ch to end. Turn (59dc + ch3)

Next Row - ch3, 1dc in each dc to end. Turn. Rpt last row 7 more times, until 9 rows in all have been worked or work measures approx 4”, turning at the end of each row. Fasten off.

Next Row - Skip 20dc, rejoin yarn to 21st dc, ch3, 1dc in next 19dc, leave 19dc and ch3

un-worked. Turn. (19dc + ch3).

Continue on these centre stitches, by working 1dc in each dc and 1dc in turning ch, until centre panel fits along side panels. Fasten off.

Fold-Back - Using random colored yarn, 4.00mm hook and WS facing rejoin yarn to

cast on edge at front of bonnet, working on the opposite side of cast on ch, 1sc in base

of ch1, skip ch1, * 1 shell in next ch, skip ch1, 1sc in next ch * rpt from * to * to end working last sc in last ch. Turn. (15 shell groups)

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

'Cast on' is a knitting term, it's how you start the piece, 'casting on' the first row of stitches onto your knitting needles--the designer might do both crafts and accidentally mixed up her terms..  I assume what is meant is the starting chain edge.

Archived