Pattern Help! Sweet Baby Hoodie

Estrellalove

Question

Hi! I am new to this website, and still somewhat new to crochet.

I am expecting a baby boy in May and was hoping to have this cute little sweater done before he gets here! I done the back part of the sweater and am now stuck on the front left side "Neck Shaping" where do I start? It says make 3 HDC but I have no idea where.

Shape armhole: Next row: Sl st in each of first 4 sts. Ch 2. 1 hdc in each st

to end of row. Turn. Leave rem sts unworked. 15 (17-19-21) sts.

Cont even until armhole measures 21/2 (3-31/4-31/2)" [6 (7.5-8-9) cm],

ending with RS facing for next row.

????Neck shaping: 1st row: 1 hdc in each st to last 3 (3-4-4) sts. Ch 2. Turn.

Leave rem sts unworked. 12 (14-15-17) hdc.

2nd row: Yoh and draw up a loop in each of first 2 sts. Yoh and draw through

all loops on hook - hdc2tog made. 1 hdc in each st to end of row. Ch 2. Turn.

3rd row: 1 hdc in each st to last 2 sts. Hdc2tog over last 2 sts. Ch 2. Turn.

Rep 2nd row once more. 9 (11-12-14) sts.

Cont even until work from beg measures same length as Back to shoulders,

ending with RS facing and omitting turning ch at end of last row. Fasten off.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help! I would be so grateful! ????

8 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville and congratulations for the bundle of joy you're expecting!

First, you'll need to delete most of what you typed.  It's violating forum rules.  You're allowed to type part of a pattern, but not the whole thing.  It's OK to type a few rows before where you're having problems, the problem row and 1-2 rows after the problem row.

Next, I see where you're confused, because it doesn't say to do 3 HDC in the neck shaping.  I assume you're making the smallest size, since it's for a newborn.  The row before the neck shaping you should have done 15 HDC stitches.  In the first row of the neck shaping, you're going to continue doing HDC stitches, except you're going to leave the last 3 unworked.  Row 1 is 12 HDC stitches.

The 2nd row of the neck shaping starts with an HDC2tog.  The combination of unworked stitches and decreases will create a slope for the neckline.

Does this help?

It's similar to how you made the back to shape the armholes - except for the 2 fronts,you are shaping ('indenting') for an armhole on 1 side, and a (shallower) front neckline on the other side, instead of an armhole on each side as you did for the back.  And, the neckline is shaped more gradually, not just notched in a few stitches and done like the armholes.

You might have read the wrong part.  The right side is the exact opposite of the left side.  On the left side, your odd rows ended at the neckline and your even rows started at the neckline.  On the right side, odd rows start at the neckline and your even rows end at the neckline.

By the way, you can post a pic directly to this forum.  You don't have to use another site.  Here's how...

Click on "More Reply Options"

Scroll down to the Attach Files section

Click on "Browse"

Find your pic on your computer, highlight it and click on Open.

Click on "Attach This File"

Click in the message where you want the pic.

Click on "Add to Post"

It looks like you're on the right track, what one would expect a neckline to look at the top, and the armhole on the bottom of the photo.

I can't tell if it's a right or left side, and here's why:  The back and 2 fronts are made flat, turning every row, so there is a definite texture to the stitches (crochet stitches don't look exactly the same on both sides).  There is no inherent right or wrong side to this fabric, but now you need to pick one so all the pieces match up when you sew them together.  If it were me, I'd use an easy to spot reference - for example, at the point the armhole indents in, there's a sort of 'ridge', as there is every other row.  You'd want this ridge to match up all around the garment (back and 2 sides), which is why you need to make the other front in the opposite way.

By opposite, (if the pattern doesn't tell you, sometimes they just say to 'mirror' the armhole and neck shaping):  the instructions tell you to start the arm shaping at the beginning of the row.  To mirror that instruction, instead of slip stitching to 'skip' the first 4 stitches, you'd work a normal row up to the last 4 stitches, and turn, so the last 4 are skipped. For the neck shaping, you'd want to slip the first 3 or 4 stitches (depending on the size you're making), and so on, continuing to shape the neck 'at the other end' from where it tells you - example row 2 would be decreasing at the end of the row, next to where you started to shape below. 

Archived