ripple afghan

wkinchen

Question

i have tried different stitches for this ripple afghan I want to make for my bed. I even went out yesterday and bought a book from Michael's on ripple afghans but it seems to be for more advance crocheters. I just want to do a basic stitch. I don't know how to measure it to fit my queen size bed. I have tried and tried now I am frustrated. Any one have any suggestion please help>>>>>>>>>:think

4 answers to this question

When I wanted to make something to fit my bed I just kept chaining until it was a few inches longer than needed, then I worked 2 rows and by that time you have a really good idea on if you need to add more chains or not...

When I first started crocheting, I was afraid to move away from patterns but now I find patterns more of a guideline than a rule. I really enjoy taking a pattern and modifying it to suit my needs. Just take the ripple pattern that you like and make it as wide/narrow and long/short as you like!

Here are some patterns that may suit you if you haven't found one you like... These seem to be in the intermediate/beg area...

Ripple Afghan #1

Ripple Afghan #2

Ripple Afghan #3

Ripple Afghan #4

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

i have tried different stitches for this ripple afghan I want to make for my bed. I even went out yesterday and bought a book from Michael's on ripple afghans but it seems to be for more advance crocheters. I just want to do a basic stitch. I don't know how to measure it to fit my queen size bed. I have tried and tried now I am frustrated. Any one have any suggestion please help>>>>>>>>>:think

Ok, I'll try to help. Mind you, my explanation might not make any sense either LOL Keep in mind I'm doing the math in my head as I write ... the method, even if the math is bad, should still work.

Decide which direction the ripples are going - across the width or the length. If you're going by length, you'll need to account for drop (what hangs over the edge at the foot) and the pillow tuck, if you're going to tuck it. If you're going by width, you'll need to account for drop on both sides. You can have as little or as much drop as you want, however, a heavy afghan is probably better with less drop than a lighter one.

Length, say it's 120 inches, plus 12 inch drop, plus another 12 for tuck. 132 with no tuck, 144 with it.

Width, say it's 60 inches, plus 12 inch drop, plus another 12 for the other side. 84 inches.

As for determining how many chains you'll need to start with: if you know how many chains make 2 humps of the ripple, chain that many (if not chain a bunch and only work 2 humps, leaving the remaining chains free). Make four rows. Now measure edge to edge of this swatch (and the width of the four rows). Say it's 8 inches across, and you want 80 inches total, you'll need 10 swatches, or 20 individual humps. If you want to eastimate yardage, unravel that swatch and measure the yarn used in 2 humps at 4 rows (say 4 rows is 2 inches tall). Multiply it out for the width and length you intend to do. say I want 80 x 120, I know 80 inches wide is 20 humps. I know each row is a 1/2 inch, so I'll need 240 rows. If my swatch of 2 humps by 4 rows used 24 yards, I look at about 240 yards per row by 60 rows, for a total of 14,400 yards. Buy extra, estimates tend to fall short, and even if they don't you can use the left overs for fringe :-)

Once you know how many swatches you need, you know how many chains each hump needs, it should be easy to figure out how long the afghan chain will need to be. 2 humps in my favorite ripple is 30 chains, so to get 10 more swatches (or 20 humps) I need 300 chains.

Weight the swatch to get onces or grams in a similar way as yardage to estimate skeins needed by weight. I found weighting swatches is the best use of a diet scale that is otherwise gathering dust LOL

When I wanted to make something to fit my bed I just kept chaining until it was a few inches longer than needed, then I worked 2 rows and by that time you have a really good idea on if you need to add more chains or not...

When I first started crocheting, I was afraid to move away from patterns but now I find patterns more of a guideline than a rule. I really enjoy taking a pattern and modifying it to suit my needs. Just take the ripple pattern that you like and make it as wide/narrow and long/short as you like!

Here are some patterns that may suit you if you haven't found one you like... These seem to be in the intermediate/beg area...

Ripple Afghan #1

Ripple Afghan #2

Ripple Afghan #3

Ripple Afghan #4

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, I am a new member, and the first thing I did was look for an easy straightforward pattern for a chevron or zigzag or ripple or whatever you call it afghan. I am a self-taught crocheter (lefthanded to boot). I found your Easy Ripple Afghan pattern and I want to thank you. Its the first time, the directions actually made sense to me:cheer I believe I am now on the right track (not perfect, but getting better). My only problem is that I seem to end up with more stitches. I must be adding them somewhere or not doing the decreases correctly, but I am encouraged so I will keep on trying. Just wanted to thank you for posting those patterns....:D

Archived