stuck please help

cole

Question

I am working on a wrap vest and for the arm holes row and i am stuck. The pattern says mark 10 single crochet stitches from one end, (5 chain 1 spaces + 5 sc) this will be the collar then Mark 28 stitches (14 sc + 14 ch1) below the first mark (this will be the armhole) work the 'pattern' of sc ch1 up to 1st Mark, chain 28, skip 28 stitches, continue to work 'pattern' to the end of the row.

Please help

4 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

What's the link to the pattern?  Where are you having trouble?  Is it the marking or what to do after the marking or both?

Stitch markers: Any purchased stitch marker that can open and close (those that look like diaper pins are the most common), bobby pin (kirby, if you're British), safety pin, or small piece of yarn.  Just don't use the round circles, because those are for knitting.

Hold your work with the turning chain/loop on your right (if you're right-handed). 

Count 10 stitches from the right (if you're right-handed) and place a marker in the 10th stitch. 

Count the next 28 stitches and place another marker in the 38th stitch.

Crochet 10 stitches of the pattern ((sc, ch 1) repeat 5 times).

Chain 28.

Crochet an sc in the 39th stitch, ch 1 and continue with the pattern ((sc, ch 1) repeat) until you get to the end of the row.

Does this help?  If not, please try to describe what is confusing to you.

Yep!  That's exactly what stitch markers are for.  They make it easy to see when you're supposed to do something different or when counting.  Then when you're done, just remove the markers.  (I also use them when I'm making a lot of rows.  I put a stitch marker every 10 or 20 rows.  Some use them to mark the turning chains at the end of each row, so they know where to start and end  They are handy things to use!)

^ what she said.  Somewhere down the road you may see another pattern that says PM, which is shorthand for 'place marker', or MM, 'move marker'.  

Another handy use for them is when a pattern says 'chain eleventy zillion', placing a marker every 25 or 50 stitches makes it easier to keep count.

Archived