Bikini/Halter Top Problem: Holes

EmmieB

Question

Hi!

I was wondering if I could get some help!

I'm currently making a bikini/halter top by single crocheting around an initial chain. When I get to the end of the chain I do 2 single crochets, a chain, and 2 more sc's in the same stitch. This makes the triangle I'm sure you're all aware of. 

BUT whenever I do this top stitch to make the point of the bikini, I am getting holes. I have tried tightening my work and changing my hook to a smaller size, but my increase is still making holes which looks inconsistent. 

Does anyone have any suggestions to get rid of these holes and make my top look neat and even the whole way around??

Thank you!! :)

6 answers to this question

What does the picture look like?  Does it look like there are tiny holes in the corners or does it look like a solid piece of fabric?   Chances are that when you continue to follow the pattern, it will look like the picture.  It's difficult to judge with only the first round.

Doing stitches, chain(s), stitches all in the same stitch to get a corner will always create a small hole where the chains are.  It doesn't matter what your tension is.  However, if you're doing sc stitches, the next round may close up the hole.  You could try changing it to 1 chain, instead of 2.  Do a few rounds to see if it lays flat.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I really appreciate it.

I've attached a photo of what it looks like. I know the holes do look quite small, but I eventually want to start selling these tops so they have to be perfect! The one's already on etsy have absolutely no holes using the same method. Here's some examples of what i mean:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/223856620/gold-crochet-bra-top-festival-crochet?ref=hp_mod_rf

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/200972955/crochet-bikini-dark-blue-crochet-vintage?ref=hp_mod_rf

Obviously if I do ever get round to selling them, I would like them to be of a similar quality! Any suggestions of a different method you think they might be using would be great if no other tips/tricks come to mind.

Thanks so much for the help!

post-76844-0-55153600-1453126635_thumb.jpg

Try the 1 chain, instead of 2.  It'll make the hole smaller.  Is that zig-zag decoration or a seam?  Either way, when you're doing the zig-zag, pick up a strand or two from across the hole.  It will close it up.  If it's not a seam or you can't pick up strands, then sew (preferably using a tail) up through the middle going across the holes or picking up strands on each side of the hole.  If you use the same color of yarn and go through just the middle of your stitches, it will disappear, but still cover the holes.

The other thing you can do is send a message to both of those Etsy members and ask them how they do it.

Something to consider - most bikini tops are fabric lined.

It appears that the Etsy tops are made of much finer yarn than your sample, maybe crochet cotton or similar sized.  Holes would be smaller with smaller yarn/thread.

For the top of the triangle, you are shoving 4 stitches (plus a chain) into 1 chain space, which is making a hole.  The only thing that I can think of to avoid this is to change the pattern a bit to spread out the increases, and omit the chain, in the stitches surrounding the point of the triangle.  This will round off the triangle tip a tiny bit, though.  

Thanks for the help everyone!

I combined all your advice. I ended up doing just 3 single crochets in the end stitch, and it did form a more rounded point, but absolutely no holes!! It's perfect!

Thank you :) 

Archived