banana split baby dress

cathrin24

Question

hi

Im having trouble with round 22 of this dress.  This is a purchased pattern, so  can.t just copy the bab.

If anyone has made this dress please could you give me some assistance with this dress.  I get so far to

row an everything doesn't match up.I  have the pattern on ibooks, and they wont let you send emails.   tried sending to myself and it wont go, so if anyone knows how to make this dress. \I would be very appreciative for the help.

Thanks

Cathrin

3 answers to this question

A link to the pattern picture so we can see what it looks like.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/banana-split-baby-dress

Beautiful dress!.  It would be OK to share just a couple of lines of the pattern (line 21 so we can see what came before, and line 22 which is the problem), and what part of the dress you have reached.  

I'm going to hazard a guess, since it looks like it's made top down: drastic changes happen in similar patterns at the point the bodice meets the skirt and the armholes are formed at the same time, that you might have reached this spot...

By the way, I looked at the project notes posted at Ravelry, and no one mentioned any errors in the pattern.

I have tried to end u only the page and it keeps coming back as an invalid address. I have typed out Rd 22, and I don't know where it went to. I don't have a computer, just a mini iPad,,so I can't save a folder with the dress in it.

Here is rd22 again. Slip stin the next 3 dc, ch 3,(dc, ch1,2 dc)in the same stitch, ch2,sk.next, 3dc, dc, in the nextdc,(ch 1,dc in the nextdc) 5 times, ch2 (2 dc,ch 2*1,2dc) in centre of next 7- group,ch2, skip next 3 dc, dc in next dc(ch1, dc in next * around, join with slip st to first dc.

I hope these are the correct words.

My problem is where it says ( ch 1, dc in the nextdc) 5. timesDo I do what's in the brackets 5 times in the bracket, or do I work my way across in the 5 dc s?

Thanks

Cathrin

I'm assuming that the pattern on the previous row has groups of stitches that alternate between 6 stitches and 7 stitches.

You already know that you're making a shell (2dc, ch1, 2dc) in the middle stitch of the 7 stitch group.

What you're doing in the 6 group stitch is making a fan.  You're going to do what's in the brackets 5 times.  Starting where you dc in the next dc, it'll look like this ...

dc, (ch 1, dc, ch 1, dc, ch 1, dc, ch 1, dc, ch 1, dc)

I put parentheses around the repeating part, just for show. The dc's are in each dc without skipping.  The chains are adding a stitch between them.  If you look ahead to the next round, you'll most likely be crocheting in the ch-1 spaces.

I hope this helps!  I'm going to post this in your help thread, too.  Granny Square (and magiccrochetfan) are two of the best at getting people unstuck.  By repeating this there, you'll be able to get even more help.  :)

ETA: I just looked at the pictures on ravelry again.  It looks like you're starting the ruffle at the bottom.  The repeating part where you were stuck is the top of the pineapples.  So, you will be crocheting into the ch-1 spaces next.  Also, the shells are the top of the split between the pineapples.  This youtube looks like it's a good one for how to do pineapples.

This site has a lot of useful information (see the menu at the right), I've linked to a page that shows how to interpret the phrasing and punctuation of crochet patterns (scroll down to parentheses, asterisks, and brackets).    http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html

A parenthesis indicates a combination of stitches that is to be done into 1 stitch.  This may be overly crochet-nerdy, but showing what happens in each of the 6 stitches of the pineapple base from the row below, it would be:

dc, (ch 1, dc), (ch 1, dc), (ch 1, dc), (ch 1, dc), (ch 1, dc)

--1-----2-----------3------------4----------5-----------6

Sorry I'm being picky on punctuation.  Same words as the prior post, just more parentheses

So, the first 2 rows of the pineapple:

(1) 6 DCs  

(2) 6 DCs (each of the 6 made into 1 DC below) separated by 1 chain.  

Look at the pattern photo, especially on the right side of the dress--you can see how the pineapples grow wider at the base. The inner pineapple shape in the youtube posted above starts identically except with more stitches than 6.

Archived