How much yarn do I need?

cynsew

Question

I would like to make this free pattern.  I cannot find how much yarn I need if I do not use their specific yarn.

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/L10478.html?noImages=#materialsMenu

I am a little past a beginner but cannot figure out exactly how much yarn I need.  

I have (2) Lion Brand Wood-Ease Chunky  5-ozs. 140 gms  153 yards  140 meters

Do I have enough to make this scarf????  Thank you for any help!!

5 answers to this question

In general, if a pattern says to use 2 skeins of Acme X yarn, I google Acme X and find out how many yards in a skein.  Let's say it's 100 yards in a skein, so 200 yards needed.  Then, let's say I want to use zzz yarn, which has 150 yards per skein.  1 skein isn't enough, I still need to buy 2 skeins, but will have some left over (maybe enough to make hand warmers....

All of the above pertains if both types of yarn are the same weight (worsted, sport, DK, etc.)  

Unfortunately, the pattern calls for a worsted weight (4 skeins), and you have chunky weight.  However, the worsted weight is 2 strands held together, so I think we can figure this out.  

Specs for the Vanna's worsted weight

Weight Category: 4 -   Worsted Weight: Afghan, Aran Yarn

Solids: 3.5 oz (100 g), 170 yards (156 m)
Prints, Tweeds, & Heathers: 3 ozs (85 g) , 145 yards (133 meters) 
Twists: 2.5 oz (70 g), 121 yards (111 meters)

So, the yardage for 2 balls of the Vanna's worsted weight is 340 yards (since you use the yarn doubled, the yardage you need is half the yardage of 4 balls).

You only have 153 yards, you need another 2 balls of the Wool-Ease Chunky to be absolutely safe.  Or, 2 balls =306 yards, which is sort of close...and might work if you make the cowl a bit shorter or narrower.

Another factor to take into account is that the cowl is crocheted with a size N hook. If you can't get anymore yarn, you can try working it up with a smaller sized hook which will make the cowl tighter. When you see you almost run out of yarn, save enough yarn to seam it together. It may be okay because the original cowl may be bigger than it looks in the photo..

I think it might be hard to use a much smaller hook, because the yarn is held doubled.

Actually I came back to this thread to suggest using a taller stitch, which will end up with fewer rows to get the same length and also uses a bit less yarn.

Edited to add results of an experiment I did a while back; all samples have same length of yarn.  You can see that you can cover more territory with DC than with SC using the same size hook; actually using a bigger one should stretch a limited amount of yarn a bit more, I'd think.

post-13625-0-87670400-1450903782_thumb.jpg

Archived