Please help!

Donna Cox

Question

4 answers to this question

Is it alternating sc, dc stitches?  That's called the up-and-down stitch.  When you're doing that stitch, you'll make an sc into the previous round's (or row's) dc stitch and vice-versa.

For example:

Rnd 2: sc dc sc dc sc dc sc dc  ------>

Rnd 1: dc sc dc sc dc sc dc sc  <------

So, after the dc, you'll do 1 chain and turn.  You don't count the chain as a stitch.  Your first sc on the 2nd round will be into the top of that dc.

When you say you doing at the end of round 1, do you mean you changed colors?  If yes, then back up to the last dc on round 1 and do the following:

1. Start the dc, but don't finish it.  YO, insert your hook, draw up a loop, YO and draw through 2 loops and stop.

2. Drop the old color and pick up the new color.

3. Grab the new color and pull through the 2 loops.  Make sure that you leave a long tail (4-6 inches.)

4. Do your turning chain (1 chain.) 

5. Gently tug on the tail of the new color and on the old color to tighten it up so it looks like the other stitches.  Don't pull it too tight.

6. Continue crocheting with the new color.

If this doesn't help or isn't what you're doing, can you post the link to the pattern (if it's free) or link to a pic?

Hi, thank you for replying! I'm trying to attach a pic of the pattern. Rnd 2 is where I run into trouble as if I turn the work my next st will be into a dc not the sc. Ok, I don't know how to attach a pic either! Rnd 1 starts with a sc and ends with a (sc,dc) in same ch as first sc.join with sl st to first sc. Rnd 2 ch 1,turn, sc in same st, ( dc,sc,dc) in next dc and so on. I hope you can understand that! Thank you!

Is your pattern sc, dc, sc in a stitch, skip 2 stitches, dc, sc, dc in the next stitch, skip 2 stitches, etc.?   If yes, that's similar to the straight forward up-and-down stitch that I described, except that you're doing it in fans.  If that's the case, all of your round 2 stitches will be in the center stitch of the previous round.

What I wrote still applies.  Your first sc in round 2 is into the top of the last dc you did in round 1.  It is the center stitch of the last fan on round 1.  This can only be done after the turning chain.

Rnd 2: sc,dc) sk2 (sc,dc,sc) sk2 (dc,sc,dc) sk2 (sc,dc,sc) sk2  (dc  ------>

| /               \ | /               \ | /               \ | /

Rnd 1: dc,sc) sk2 (dc,sc,dc) sk2 (sc,dc,sc) sk2 (dc,sc,dc) sk2 (sc  <------

Where the () in round 2 is done in the center stitch.

You're only allowed to post pictures of your own work.  You can post a link to where a pic of the picture or pattern is located.

To post a link:

Type anything you like, such as the url.  Highlight what you typed and click on the chain, located next to the 123.  Type in the url.  Click on OK.

To post a picture:

Click on Full Editor.  (If you're starting a topic, you're already in full editor.)  Click where you want the picture to show.  Scroll down to the Attach Files section.  Click on Browse.  Go to your pic and select it.  Click on Attach This File.  Click on Add to Post.

Is your pattern by chance 'Kid's cozy mitten set'?

https://books.google.com/books?id=uxMDMSyPUnAC&pg=PA140&lpg=PA140&dq=mitten*Rnd+2+ch+1,turn,sc+in+same+st&source=bl&ots=npEq8c2vcq&sig=3mU2SKBmRGhuIsquTsyaOtuumoo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjVoqiT07PJAhWIKyYKHbYPCsMQ6AEIIDAB#v=onepage&q=mitten*Rnd%202%20ch%201%2Cturn%2Csc%20in%20same%20st&f=false

I googled that small part of your round 2 instruction and found that in a preview of the book.  The whole pattern is not there, nor is the pic, and I didn't find a pic in my googling.

If this is the right pattern...I don't think it's the up-down stitch because, if you look ahead you will be making SCs into SCs, and DCs into DCs.  It looks like you are starting from the top of the mitten with only 6 chains, working around both sides of the chain and making increases as you go down toward the wrist.

Round 1 ends with a DC, then a SLST into the first SC, chain 1, turn.  Round 2 is telling you to make a SC into the slip stitch that ended round 1, which was made into a SC.

Archived