Chain two then chain two more?

New-Tang Man

Question

fan 1
ch 8, join with sl st to form a ring
row 1- working in the ring- *1sc ch3* (counts as first tr), 13 tr (14)

row 2- turn, work *1sc, ch3* in first tr (counts as first tr), *ch1, tr* in each tr around (14, with 13 ch1 spaces)

row 3- turn, work *1sc, ch2* in the first space (counts as first dc), *ch2, 1dc in same space, 1dc in next space* ten times. ch5, skip three spaces, 1dc in last tr (3rd chain)

I'm pretty sure that I'm doing this right but it's not very clear. I'm new to reading patterns and although the fans are pretty simple I'm not sure about parts. 1sc, ch2 then the next thing is ch2, 1dc. I know to sc1 then ch2, but what's next, ch2 more then dc1?

I also figured out that it means in the chain space even though it just says space. I'm used to reading it as ch sp3 or something like that.

Sorry if this post is in the wrong spot, and thanks for any help.

6 answers to this question

Ok so sc1 and ch4 got it, and then the rest of that row is pretty much just V stitches w/ only two chains in the middle. I know two put ch2 in the middle of the Vs but am also kind of confused about in between the other Dcs. Sorry for the probably silly questions but I've ripped it apart a few times and am just second guessing myself due to lack of knowledge.

I can't really visualize it too well just from the written part. I would do better looking at a photo or best of all, a symbol diagram ;-)

What is the pattern title and where is it?  if free online you can link to it if you want, or if in a magazine or book tell us the title and someone will probably have it to look at.  

They separated the 2 ch2s because of the repeat.  *ch2, 1dc in same space, 1dc in next space* ten times is the repeating part.  They want to do 10 V stitches (including the 1sc, ch2 before the repeat instructions) and end in a dc in the next space.  Your long ch5 and last dc is for connecting the next fan. 

If you look at the first picture, you'll see a row of V stitches, ending in a single dc, ch5, dc.  That last part is close to the hook in the picture.  (I wish they'd use a lighter color yarn for demonstrations!)

Oh good point about the repeat! That is the most important reason for breaking up the number of chains, i'm sure.

NewTang Man, Here is a different Queen Annes Lace pattern that i think has clearer photos and also a stitch symbol diagram which helps to visualize the stitches , as well as written pattern http://mrsmicawber.blogspot.com/2011/03/queen-annes-lace-crochet-scarf-tutorial.html

Archived