Do I have a small head?

Ilah

Question

I have made three hats so far for myself. The first two were a little loose even though I checked the gauge before I started. The third one I had to partially undo and modify becuase it was too loose. It was a skullcap style so I knew it should fit reasonably tight. I am thinking that perhaps I just have a small head and I would need to adjust any hat pattern for adults. But it could be that I just did something wrong.:think How do I measure my head size and what is concidered the standard size for an adult hat? Do I measure from my forhead straight back or along where I think the outer edges of the hat would be? Usually I wear my hats going from my forhead in front and slanting down to the top of my neck in back. I think that is how most styles are meant to be worn.

What do people do for hats for teens who have a size larger than kids, but smaller than adults? Is there an inbetween size? I don't think I would take a child sized hat.

3 answers to this question

This is what I do: I start at the top, crochet a flat circle, increasing until it is about 5 1/2 inches in diameter. Then I stop increasing and just go around until the hat is as long as I want it. I have found with patterns that sometimes they are too big. If I make a child's hat I usually make the circle 4 1/2 inches.

I measured my head and it was 21 1/4 inches, so according to the chart I am at the low end of adult woman (21-23 1/2 inches). Children's hats (3 and older) were listed as 20-22 inches, so perhaps I should try children's patterns. I was suprised there was so little difference between a child's head and an adult head.

I will also try the suggestion with just doing a circle out to a certain size, as soon as I experiment and find the right sized circle for me. Hats with a more complicated pattern might be trickier, but I think I could modify them. On the plus side, it should take me less yarn to make a hat.

Archived