Need help with crochet pattern

Momostump0525

Question

Help!

I found a pattern to make a crochet cardigan and I'm having trouble understanding what to do next...

It says to slip stitch over first 3 stitches for underarm and work to within last 3 stitches. Work in pattern until piece measures 3 1/2 in. from underarm.

I don't understand what its wanting me to slip stitch or I it wants me to bring the side together and slip stitch together or what?? Please help! Thanks in advance!! :)

8 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville!

Slip stitch into each of the first three stitches. Then crochet across the rest of the row, but leave the last three stitches unworked.

What is the name and location of the pattern?

Your cardigan probably has a set-in sleeve.  The body part of the cardigan needs to be 'cut-in' under the arm for the sleeve to fit into.  When you slip stitch over stitches, it adds very little height but 'scoots you over' to where you need to start the next row, without cutting the yarn and re-attaching 3 stitches over.  So, the row will be indented by 3 stitches at the beginning of the row, and stop 3 stitches from the end.

Hi Magic...actually the OP mentioned underarm, so I'm thinking it's not a drop sleeve...unless you are thinking the sleeve itself?  I was assuming the body...

Never mind, I should have scrolled down.  Yes, under where it said 'variations' for drop sleeve, or possibly scrolling farther down, to set-in.  Both show the indents under the arm.

Cute sweater!  Looks like modified drop shoulder.  When you get to the top of the back, and start working on the right and left fronts from the shoulder down, you will eventually increase 3 stitches when you get to the underarm (aside from increasing at the neckline side).

Archived