Chevron Zip Zag Throw Afghan

BarbT

Question

Hi, I found a picture of this afghan online but I can't find a pattern! I wanted to make it for my little nephew as he loves John Deere!! I looked thru all of my mom's patterns and couldn't find anything like this one. So I looked online and nothing there either so I thought I would ask you ladies! Thank You for any help you can give me!

4 answers to this question

I have not seen this very pattern, but it looks like a combination of 2 common patterns:  a rectangular ripple done in SC in the back loop, and a Jacob's ladder.

I think it would be 98% easy to figure out, the 2% that would take some thinking is if/how much/where any stitches are added or subtracted next to the ladder (depending on whether the adder happened at a peak or valley).

Edit - here is a generic sc in the back loop ripple blanket (pdf file--click on 'free pattern')

http://www.yarnspirations.com/knit-or-crochet-ripple-baby-blanket.html

Oh, interesting - my next step was to look for a Jacob's ladder and I found this ripple, which is a little different than yours (ladder is at both the peak and valley). It's also in DC, not SC.  The blog pattern has a link to the 'basic' Jacob ladder pattern.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/jacobs-ladder-ripple-afghan

BarbT, we love to help members find what they're looking for, but we have to do so within the bounds of copyright law and our forum policies. Our policies state that members can only upload photos to which they own the copyright, so I've had to remove the photo you included in your post.

You're welcome to post a link to the webpage where you found the photo.

Thank You very much Granny Square for your help! I think I will just do it in the ripple SC in the back loop. I have never done the Jacob ladder pattern before.

Didn't know I wasn't suppose to post the picture!!

Glad to help!

The Jacob's ladder part is really easy--maybe you could try it on a swatch--and it looks really cool with stripes because the chained up ladder jogs the colors.  You just make x plain stitches, and y chain stitches (usually around 8-10 stitches for the chain part) for the whole piece - it will look really strange, solid columns with long strings between.  Then, at the end, you 'chain up' the long stringy chain spaces with your finger or hook, sort of like making a chain or slip stitch (or if you knit, fixing a dropped stitch)

Archived