Fleece lined mittens

Jassykins

Question

I'm new to crocheting and for Christmas for my family I wanted to make them mittens and hats. Only problem it is freezing cold here.

What I was hoping to get some help with was, finding out the best way to attach a fleece lining to a crocheted mitten.

I have been looking online and have seen stitching them together on a sewing machine or crocheting the edge of the fleece to crocheting the lining in that way?

Has anyone tried this? And if so do you have a better way of doing it?

Thanks so much for the help!!

1 answer to this question

I haven't tried this, but if it were me, I'd either hand sew the lining in (blanket stitch, probably) or crochet it in.  I think It would be easier than fighting with a small thing like a mitten on a sewing machine.

I have done a lot of sewing (fabric) however, and often linings are made a little bit bigger than the thing being lined - example, the lining of a coat usually has a pleat in the back neck area, and near the sleeve cuffs.  Also, linings that are attached at the hem are attached higher up, so they puff out a bit (hard to explain), so they don't pull the hem of the outer garment up.

The reason is that you don't want the lining possibly pulling/puckering the outer garment, and I think this would be especially important if you are lining a stretchy mitten or hat with non-stretchy fleece.

Archived