Lump in top of hat?

Dragonfarms

Question

Hello everyone! I created an account here because I have just started learning to crochet and I have been struggling a bit with starting my hats! I have made one hat sucessfully, which looks great except for at the start of the hat (where the hole at the top is) there is a big lump! When I wear it, it sticks up. This might seem like a dumb question but it's only because I'm a beginner and wasn't sure where else to go as I tried to find answers but nothing came up. I don't know what details I should provide but this has happened with two different hat patterns I've tried so far and have restarted multiple times hoping I could fix it by making it looser. I really appreciate if anyone out there could tell me why this keeps happening! Thank you :•)

2 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the ville!

If you can show us a photo of the hats that will help.

Also tell us the name and lcation of the patterns. If free online, give us a link. Tell us what yarn and hook size you used. All that info will be helpful in advising you on how to solve it.

I think that's why they invented pom poms on hats, to hide little flaws like that!

Everybody has a different stitch tension (tighter/looser, as well as taller/shorter), and this includes designers.  It could be that the designer of the pattern you are using has a different tension than yours which is causing a conflict.

When you are working in the round (flat circle), stitch height, and the ratio of diameter to circumference, matters.  It sounds like your center is cupping; this happens if the circumference is too small for the diameter.  The fix is less diameter (fewer rows or shorter stitches) or more circumference (more stitches).  

Ruffling is the opposite - the circumference is to big for the diameter, and the fix is more diameter (taller stitches, add a row with no increases) or reducing the number of stitches.  

There is a typical formula for the 'average' crocheter for making a flat circle, as for the start of a hat:

For sc, start with 6 stitches and increase by 6 stitches each round

For hdc, start with 9 and increase by 9 each round

For dc, start with 12 and increase by 12 each round

Your own personal tension might require that you tweak that ratio; this will take a little trial and error.   If you have cupping at the very start, you'd want to eliminate a stitch or 2 at the beginning, and maybe add them back in a later round.

Another method to start a circle is an adjustable ring, or magic ring.  It allows you to adjust the center, and can sometimes solve cupping or ruffling.  In your case, you might be able to open up the center enough to stop the cupping that's causing the bump, if you don't mind a little hole in the top of your hat.   I didn't include a link; give it a google, there are lots of tutorials.  Some find it confusing - just think of it as making a slip knot, except leave it in a loose ~1"circle. then start crocheting over the thread that forms the circle + the tread leading to the skein.  When you have put the required number of stitches in the ring, pull the cut end as tight or loose as you want - you will want it loosish.

Archived