How to design my own stitch

CraftyHooker

Ok, I'm hoping this will make sense.. I have been crocheting for many years and am now wanting to create my own top/dress without using someone else's pattern or stitch. The problem is I guess I don't understand the math or process of creating my own stitch multiples. For example, when I try to make my own kind of shell stitch pattern the row will make like a fan and now a straight line. And it is not the tightness of gauge it has something to do with the stitch count. I have searched everywhere and can't seem to find anything about this. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Hi, welcome to the ville!

Your question makes sense! If you are doing a staggered shell pattern, you have to have a half shell at each end of the row. You can clearly see this in the stitch symbol diagram here http://www.crochetgeek.com/2007/12/crochet-shell-stitch.html

Is this the kind of shell stitch you mean?

Yes, I think that is pretty much the rule of thumb.  I am trying to think of an example where you would have more foundation chains than stitches in the following rows.  (Assuming we are talking about making a straight piece, not a center-out shape like a granny square.)  I guess there are some patterns where you do extra foundation chains so that they form a sort of ruffle or picot-ish edging.  But normally for making a straight piece you do want to keep the stitch number consistent.

Do you have a good crochet reference book like Complete Photo Guide to Crochet, or Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet?  I think that would help you understand the fabric structure and create what you want to.  Also there is Creating Crochet Fabric.  

You're welcome :-)

If you like videos, you might look at some of the classes on Craftsy, I have taken a couple and they are very well done.  There are 1 or 2 on designing, and you can look at the contents list to see if they cover what you want.  

Archived