Tips or Tricks for Crochet Dress Ties

Jayashiangel

Question

I understand how to do a neck area tie strings for the back of a dress (chain unknown number of stitches then attached single crochet across neck line then repeat the same number of chains on the other side)

But what are some tips for keeping or doing the ties in say the middle of the back of the dress to keep it closed/laced up worried about them coming off after gifting them? Thanks 

3 answers to this question

How far down the dress is open in the back?  Are you thinking 1 string at the neck, and 1 in the middle?  I'd think that would pull and look odd.

Instead of the attached neck tie as you described, if I was trying to keep a long slit closed but semi exposed in the back, I'd (sc x, chain 3 or so, skip a stitch, repeat) around both sides of the back opening, to create lace-holes (like a corset), then make a long lace separately to string through.

This is laced in the front, but to give you an idea.

I understand what your saying..However what I want is to do sets of ties to close up the back or front of dresses....The neck as well middle or even all the day down vs corset style just ties (strings to tie to another on the other side) hope that makes more sense...vs buttons

post-35509-0-36050700-1439322130_thumb.jpg

I'd be leery about just attaching yarn every x inches and making a chain, because that would be a strain on the attachment point.

What if...you made a sc or slip stitch edge down the fronts, then every x inches made a long chain, then slip stitched back, and continued down the front again, etc?  This would make a slightly heavier but sturdier set of ties.  However...I think having multiple ties in the back would be uncomfortable if sitting in a chair or lying down - and this looks like it might be for a baby/toddler?

Another thought (for a front closure), although these are button-like, what about crochet frog closures?  I've always wanted to try these, but never had the project for them.  I'm not sure how secure they are, though

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#sort=best&craft=crochet&query=frog closure  (the first one is free, the second is from a book)

http://crochetbyfaye.blogspot.com/2009/05/do-you-frog.html

Archived