Yarn Fraying

c_lol_dia

Question

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville!

Please tell us more about your project. What is the name and brand of the yarn? What size hook are you using? What kind of stitches are you making, and are you following a pattern? Has the yarn been used previously?

Well, I used the yarn previously four years ago. I don't know the name and brand as my teacher back then had bought the yarn for me. But, I am sure the hook says 8.0 mm. Maybe I should buy new yarn? I just don't want to waste the one I have now.

I might not have been clear, i meant to ask if this yarn has been crocheted and ripped out already, because some yarns do not stand up well to being ripped and re-used.

You really need to know the weight of the yarn, so if there is no label, you can find the wraps per inch http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/11/determining-yarn-weights/

The 8mm hook could be too big or too small for the yarn.

Some brands/styles of yarn are just 'splittier' than others.  

Some people have a definite preference for the style of the hook they use, a Boye style (tapered neck) versus a Bates style (just a slit in a straight tube, or 'in line').  One is not better than the other, but fans of one find the 'other' brand hard to work with, and cause the yarn to split.  (Of course there are lots of other hook brands, but their hook style falls into 1 of these 2 styles).  Illustration

I have crocheted for decades and still occasionally will not 'catch' all the plies of the yarn with my hook when making a stitch; I just make the stitch over and move on.  I know as a new crocheter this happened more than it does now;  maybe this will get better with more practice?

Archived