Need help with Irish Lace Pattern

meghanareed

Question

I recently started a new afghan and am really truly in LOVE with this pattern. I honestly cannot figure out how to join the second second square in the row. 

1st and 2nd rnds: Work as given for first square.

3rd rnd: Join to previous square. Ch 5.*(Dc3tog. Ch 1) in next arch. Insert hook from RS in center ch of corner of previous square and sl st. (Ch 1. Dc3tog) in same arch.* **Ch 2. Insert hook from RS in center ch of ch 5 arch of previous square and sl st. Ch 2.** 1 sc in next arch. Rep from ** to ** once more. Rep from * to * once more. 2 squares joined.[Ch 5. 1 sc in next arch. Ch 5. (Dc3tog.Ch 3. Dc3tog) in next arch] twice. Ch 5.Sl st in top of dc. Fasten off.

I get that you are creating rows and they need to be in a straight line. What I don't get is how you are getting from the sides. When it says Join to previous square - is that like slip stitch somewhere? Or just letting you know that's what you do in this round? If that's just what you do then where is RS? I'm just generally confused -- any help would be amazing!!

http://www.allfreecrochetafghanpatterns.com/Lace/Irish-Lace

Thanks!!

4 answers to this question

Please say where the pattern is as someone might have it. A picture would help too. You are basically joining the last row or round of the second sq to the first one as you do the rnd or row.

. Here is a page that shows how to join as you go. even though it's not yours it might give you an idea.

joining

I love Attic24, she is so brilliant with color combinations.

So you have made the first square - this is the previous square.  While working the second (current) square, every so often you will 'reach' over to the first (previous) square and join it with a slip stitch to your current square.

Below I've highlighted in red the spots where you are connecting into the previous square.  Everything else is on, or going back and forth from, the current square.  All the connections to the previous square are slip stitches.  (exception might be - are you changing color at the beginning of the 3rd round?  In which case, the 'join to previous square' would be how you would normally connect a new yarn to a piece)

3rd rnd: (Join to previous square [this is a comment not an instruction]). Ch 5.*(Dc3tog. Ch 1) in next arch. Insert hook from RS in center ch of corner of previous square and sl st. (Ch 1. Dc3tog) in same arch.* **Ch 2. Insert hook from RS in center ch of ch 5 arch of previous square and sl st. Ch 2.** 1 sc in next arch. Rep from ** to ** once more. Rep from * to * once more. 2 squares joined.[Ch 5. 1 sc in next arch. Ch 5. (Dc3tog.Ch 3. Dc3tog) in next arch] twice. Ch 5.Sl st in top of dc. Fasten off.

edit, is this your pattern?  

http://www.yarnspirations.com/patterns/irish-lace.html

I was wondering why your pattern was only connecting 1 side, this explains why - you are making strips, not an overall motif.

So yes that's my pattern - that makes a lot of sense. My only thing is where do I join to the previous square? is that just like slip stitch in the corner and then you work around the first square? yes it's just rows and then you use a separate part of the pattern to connect the rows.

post-75636-0-67438800-1438901190_thumb.jpg

As you work on the second square, you will just 'reach over' to the first square at the point indicated, make a slip stitch which connects the 2 squares, then retreat back to the second square and follow what it says.

I will edit my earlier post, I erred. I was looking at your post's round 3 instructions not the Yarnspirations one -  'join to previous square' is not an instruction, just a description of what you will be doing, although a little incomplete - you are joining to the previous square while completing the current one.  So, your first action on round 3 is 'chain 5, etc'.

Sorry if I confused you.

Archived