Need help with pattern please

Minnie

Question

I am working on a Pineapple Runner and Vanity set #7770-a from Clark's O.N.T book #230

I get to 5th row and repeat it until one loop remains, then on the next row, it says shell over shell, ch 4, sc in ch-3 loop, ch 4, . 

from there I just don't get it.  it says 2 dc in sp of next shell, ch 1, sl st in space of last shell made, ch 1, 2 dc in same place as last 2 dc were made, ch 5 turn, sl st in joining of shells and break off. 

When I try, I end up with more ch 5 loops on one side than the other and it won't work out for the edging.  What am I not understanding in this?  I have tried it two ways and neither come out. 

Does anyone have any ideas?  Thank you in advance for your help

Minnie.

5 answers to this question

Link to pattern photo from Ravelry, if that helps.  This is a nice oval pattern, since it's in motifs you can make it any length you want.

Looking thru the Ravelry projects, a couple of people mentioned that the edging was confusing, one didn't say what she did to fix it, but said the ch 4 join on round 3 has an error that causes a problem in the next round.  In looking at the projects, I noticed that there was a variety of ways that people dealt with that area.  

But from what you said, it sounds like you are finding a problem earlier than the edging.

I was curious, and started a pineapple as an example for you to see if yours looked different.

I ended up with 8 loops (offset, so not exactly symmetrical)on each side, and 1 at the top.  If you follow the 'next row' instructions exactly , it works out - but it would have been a lot clearer if they had told you to turn within that row, which you have to do if you make stitches where it tells you to.  Here is a clearer version:

Shell over shell, ch 4, sc in ch-3 loop, ch-4, 2 dc in sp of next shell, ch 1, TURN, sl st in space of last shell made, ch 1, TURN, 2 dc in same place as last 2 dc were made, ch 5 turn, sl st in joining of shells and break off. 

post-13625-0-58805200-1438456724_thumb.jpg

Granny Square, thank you so much, You understood exactly where I was having the problem, and hit the nail right on the head.  Now I get it.  you are a life saver.  I will add the turn work on my pattern so I will remember next time.

Archived