How many chains from hook to crochet in for different stitches?

ButterscotchAlley

Question

Okay, so I'm not really a crochet-from-a-pattern person and I like to make my own creations by piecing together techniques and stitches that I've pulled from other things, and then find out how to make them work for what I want through trial and error. However, because of this, I find that I encounter things that I'm not entirely sure why they do or do not work and can't seem to find anyone who has an answer? :think

So, what I'd like to know is, how do you know how many chains from the hook you should crochet in for different stiches? For example, if you chain in the 2nd chain from the hook to start a row of single crochet, would it be the 3rd chain from the hook for double crochet (4th for triple? And so on?)?

Also, a second question in a similar tangent:

At the end of a row, you sometimes chain one before continuing, and other times you chain two, so for which stitches do you chain how many? For example: At the end of a row of sc, chain one; at the end of a row of dc, chain two??

Any help would be much appreciated!

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville!

You really are asking one question: the number of "turning chains" for the different height stitches. The answer is one for single, two for half double, three for double, and four for triple.

I sugest you get yourself a copy of The Crochet Answer Book by E Eckman, it is full of this kind of info. Also if you look at Crochetcabana site for tutorials re these basics and more.

Archived