Question on rabbit pattern from Crocheted Wild Animal book

eostc

Question

Hi, I have a question about the rabbit pattern from Crocheted Wild Animals by Vanessa Mooncie, and any help would be gratefully received.

I am trying to do the rabbit's foot, and am shaping the heel. The instructions say:

The following is worked in rows:

Row 1: 1 dc in next 2 dc, turn (2sts)

Row 2: 1 ch (does not count as a stitch), work 1 dc into the dc in front of the first dc, 1 dc in next 3 dc, turn (4sts).

Row 3: 1 ch (does not count as a stitch), work 1 dc into the dc in front of the first dc, 1 dc in next 5 dc, turn (6sts).

I don't understand where to work the extra dc - does it mean work 2 in the first stitch.....is it simpler than I am making it, or is this something else.

Really hope someone can help   :)

6 answers to this question

looks like this is the entry for the pattern on Ravelry, just so we can see it http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/rabbit-24  (...if that's the wrong one, pls tell me :-)  )

I don't see any project notes re the heel.  

i do not understand what "into the dc IN FRONT OF the first dc" means.  There might be something at the beginning of the pattern explaining it or the front or back of the book.  

Funny, I'm currently KNITTING a bunny that looks just like that, and was working on the feet last nite...

I'm confused by your book's instructions all together.  First, 'in front' isn't clear as Magiccrochetfan said; I took it to mean either: to skip the first stitch and work into the next one, or maybe to work into the front LOOP, but if so it should have been more specific.  Second, if row 1 as you typed is is complete and has only 2 DC, in row 2 - how is it possible that there are (at least, depending what 'front' means) 4 DC available for you to work into?  I found errata for this book, but there is no mention of the rabbit.

https://www.thegmcgroup.com/pc/viewcontent.asp?idpage=44

what was the last row before the row 1 you posted?

maybe this is a short row?  

short row in crochet explained here http://www.lookatwhatimade.net/crafts/yarn/crochet/crochet-tutorials/crochet-short-rows-joining-in-the-round/

maybe the stitch "in front of" is the closest st in the preceding row?  that would make sense for "turning a heel", if that is what you are doing lol

there really should be a note somewhere in the book explaining waht they mean here.  

what was the last row before the row 1 you posted?

maybe this is a short row?  

short row in crochet explained here http://www.lookatwhatimade.net/crafts/yarn/crochet/crochet-tutorials/crochet-short-rows-joining-in-the-round/

maybe the stitch "in front of" is the closest st in the preceding row?  that would make sense for "turning a heel", if that is what you are doing lol

there really should be a note somewhere in the book explaining waht they mean here.  

Funny, I'm currently KNITTING a bunny that looks just like that, and was working on the feet last nite...

I'm confused by your book's instructions all together.  First, 'in front' isn't clear as Magiccrochetfan said; I took it to mean either: to skip the first stitch and work into the next one, or maybe to work into the front LOOP, but if so it should have been more specific.  Second, if row 1 as you typed is is complete and has only 2 DC, in row 2 - how is it possible that there are (at least, depending what 'front' means) 4 DC available for you to work into?  I found errata for this book, but there is no mention of the rabbit.

https://www.thegmcgroup.com/pc/viewcontent.asp?idpage=44

Thank you both so much, magiccrochetfan and Granny Square.

Yes that is the pattern on Ravelry, and thanks for the links to the web pages. I looked at the short row explanation which got me thinking....where the 'short row' instructions talk about making another stitch at then end of the row, I think the instructions in this book tell you to make it at the start of the row. So you end up making a semi circle attached in the round, if that makes sense. I tried it out and it seems to make the turn in the heel of the foot, so that's what I'm going with....I guess if I followed the instructions exactly that's what i would have done, but I never would have believed it without your suggestion magiccrochetfan  :)

Good luck with your rabbit Granny Square  :D

Thanks--you too!  (my rabbit's feet were easier, they were just increases and decreases for the big feet)   :rabbit

I have to say, looking at the Ravelry projects for your pattern gave me an idea; I'm not sure if this is how your pattern is, but one showed the bunny tail as a 3D flower - so cute!  

Archived