Cowl Pattern Question from a Newbie Crocheter

Vasiliki Stylianopoulos

Question

I'm stuck on Row 2 of this pattern from Leisure Arts booklet 75491 Learn to Crochet pg 41;

Row 2: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), turn; skip next dc

I completed the second row but I have 63 dc and the first row had 62.  Row 1 has 15 groups of four dc and one dc on each end and so does row 2 but it has an extra dc.   What does skip next dc mean after the turning chain?  I always skip the first dc when I double crochet so this confuses me.  Thanks for your help!!  

5 answers to this question

Thanks Sarisue!!!  Just one more follow up question.   Should every row have the same number of stitches as Row 1?   My pattern says row 1 should have 62 stitches: 15 groups of 4 dc and 1 dc on each end. Which it does.

It doesn't tell me how many stitches I should have in row 2 but I am assuming it means I should also have 15 groups of 4 dc with one dc on each end to total 62 stitches.   Thanks again for your help:)

Row 1 (Right side):  Working in back ridge of beginning ch, 2 dc in fifth chain from hook(first 3 skipped chs count as first dc), 2 dc in next ch *skip next 2 chs, 2 dc in next of 2 chs repeat from * across to last 2 chs, skip next ch, dc in last ch: 15 groups of 4 dc and 1 dc on each end (62 dc)

Row 2: Ch 3 (Counts as first dc), turn; skip next dc, 2dc in each of next 2 dc *skip next 2 dc, 2 dc in each of next 2 dc; repeat from * across to last 2 dc, skip next dc, dc in last dc (marked ch).

Here is a really good website to bookmark for reference.  I've linked to the page 'how to read a crochet pattern', but if you look at the menu at the top, there's all sorts of other good info in there, like yarn weights, standard sizing, chart symbols etc.  Scroll down a bit, under 'double crochet' it shows the wrong and right spot to make your first stitch after the turning chain-3.

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html

This is another great site to bookmark, lots of tutorials here

http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/tutorials.html

Archived