You can always sell from your own property.  You have to get permission for any other space.  Soliciting at a school is illegal.  You could check if your churches, schools and local towns have craft fairs.  If yes, usually the space rental goes to the organizer and you get to keep any profits from the sell of your items.  You'll need to supply your own display table and if it's hot, get a display tent, too.  Flea markets operate the same way. 

I'm in Pennsylvania and around here craft fairs and outdoor flea markets are every weekend from May-September.  I've seen lots of booths with amigurumi and other yarn crafts. 

ETA: If your area doesn't have craft fairs, you can always attend a public board meeting or write a letter suggesting that they consider having one.  All churches, schools and towns have a method for accepting suggestions.

I've had yard sales before, but I'm in the back of a neighborhood now.  People only come when we have a neighborhood sale.  I've set up a table at my church's sale.  I've also looked into selling at the local flea markets.  The typical space around here is $10-15 for the day.  I sell other stuff.  I've never sold yarn work.

Check with your local grocery stores to see if they have a board where you can pin up an advertising flyer.  That's usually free.

You might check with your town about running a business from your home -- it's not always permitted, or may have restrictions.  An occasional 'garage' sale is one thing, but some areas have rules about zoning, customer traffic coming to your house, etc. (ours does).

Archived