Help getting stray polyfil fibers off finished amigurume?

LVeg

Question

It must be the brand of polyfil I got, but it's made up of these loooong corse fibers. This stuff has a tendency to poke out if I'm sewing or weaving something through the body of my project, and it can be a real pain in the butt. Even if I'm careful to stuck them back inside, I'll inevitably be left with little fibers sticking out of random places and I'd like to minimize it. Also, when I try to brush them off or pull them out they're often stuck between stitches so it's quite difficult. Has anyone else encountered this problem? How do you deal with it? 

4 answers to this question

I been crocheting amigurumi for a while. But I never had that kind of problem with my "stuffing". You must bought a bad one. It should be even consistency and "smooth" almost like a cotton balls, NO poking out fibers! :(. I always buy mine from Joann store, it is sold on line also. In fact I have a bag of that in front of me and it says: "Polly-Fil, 100% Premium Polyester Fiberfill". I think that company name is: "Fairfield".

My advice to you is to just buy another bag of a good "stuffing". I just don't think that there is any other way to deal with that.

I hope I am being of some help to you. I know that is probably not what you would like to hear.

Krys

Are you crocheting tight enough? I crochet very tightly when I do stuffies in crochet. Since my tension is so tight, I can only work on them sparingly otherwise I get sore fingers. The tighter the piece, the smaller your gaps and as such, you won't have stuffing poking through. Another thing to do is to take your polyfill and roll it in your hand so that you don't have stray strands sticking out all over before putting it into your piece. I use all kinds of polyfill and some are silky and some are coarse. They both are handy depending on what you make.

There is an art to stuffing even though my dd at one point has mentioned- you just shove it into your pieces. I have showed her that it isn't like that if you want your item stuffed right. It can take me an hour or more to stuff a sewn doll because all of the parts need to be stuffed evenly and properly so there are no lumps.

You will get the hang of it through practice.:)

I forgot to mention that amigurumi's needs to be crochet VERY tight to look good. I probably assumed that goes without saying. I always use much smaller hooks that is suggested by yarn company's for "regular" crocheting. And YES! that is very hard on hands - painful :(. When I am done with my parts they do look as they are already been stuffed, but they are not. They are standing up holding their shapes perfectly. That is how tight I crochet them. I can stuff them as much as I want to (hard as a rock) and NO stuffing will ever be showing up. According to me that is how amigurumi should be done-very tight. When the stuffing is showing thru those little openings that dos not look good at all. I had seen many of that kind of work on Internet.

When it comes to crocheting a toys for little children. They shouldn't be crochet as tight or  stuffed as a rock LOL. Because they should feel soft to the touch.

And like Crochetfan said: There is an art when it comes to stuffing!:).

As for my previous post here. I just didn't thought that was normal for "stuffing" to have hard pieces like "needles" poking thru that crochet fabric:(. That is what I understood from your post the problem is. Now, that would not be a good stuffing!. I never came across anything like that.

Happy crocheting:)

Krys..

Archived