Crochet fish help

Jmpearson

Question

Hello, I'm new to crochet and looking for some help with a pattern that I have for a fish.

I've started with a ring as the pattern dictates and now I have 12 sts but am stuck on what it's asking me to do for the next few rounds.

It says 4 dc into next 4 sts, 2 dc into next 6 sts (13 sts)

I don't understand how I end up with only 13 sts at the end of that round.

Thanks for your help.

6 answers to this question

I agree that the pattern isn't clear.  As written, you should have 16+12=28 stitches.  I suspect what was meant was '1 stitch into each of the next 4 stitches, 2 stitches in each of the next 6 stitches' which would give you 4+12=16 stitches.  Notice if you have a number pad on your keyboard, the 6 is right over the 3----I bet 13 is a typo. 

I think it's even more messed up than that, Granny.   I do think it means 13 sts because the next round is 15, then 17.   looking at the next few lines which are (X sc in next X sts, 2 sc in next st) twice, sc into last st---I think round 4 should look more like that.  well actually round 3 is the same way.  

and 4sc in next 4 sts apparently means one sc in each of next 4 sts, based on waht i see in the rest of the pattern.  

So for round 4 just do whatever you need to to get 13 sts.   And for this pattern you just want to make a fish shape, exact stitch count really doesn't matter very much.  

oh, also just noticed that the turning chain 1 is missing from the beginning of each row.  maybe that is addressed somewhere in the book, but normally you would have that turning chain.  

Thanks so much for your help, reading your reply with the pattern in front of me makes so much sense and seems so obvious now but I've not had much experience reading patterns.

Thank you again - maybe I might get this finished before the baby grows out of his cot :-)

Archived