Zig Zag Pullover help :)

naomiweir

Question

Hello!

I am currently trying to figure out the pattern for this:

http://www.scheepjeswol.com/files/23/Scheepjeswol%20Stone%20Washed%20-%20A.pdf

I'm not used to working with charts, but have managed in the past. There is one part of the pattern puzzling me however and I just can't figure it out!

"Back: Using red chain 115 125 135 sts and work the Pattern st in Stripe pattern, beginning after the edge st with stitch marked A B C in chart."

The bit in bold is just not making sense to me :( I understand that the A B C will be for the three sizes, but what does it mean to start in the stitch marked A? On the pattern diagram the stitch marked A is way along the base chain, so surely that would leave a huge loop?

If anyone can shed some light on this it would be hugely appreciated!

~ Naomi

11 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville!

This is an unusual way to show the sizes, i have not seen it before. I think i understand it but i will have to think how to explain it. Basically it is showing that at the edges you have a different portion of the stitch pattern to create the different widths.

Its a pretty pattern and i lve the colors!

OK lets see if I can say this in a way that anyone but me can understand lol  (before i forget, a weird thing i noticed by looking closely at the photo---starting at teh red stripe at about hip level, it is crocheted from the bottom working up.  the stripes below that are worked top-down.  makes it appear that the initial sweater was not long enough so they went back and added on from what was originally the bottom of the sweater.)  

first off you need to read the diagram like this:

initial chain, left to right

row 1, right to left

row 2, left to right

row 3 right to left

and so on.  you can tell where the beginning of a row is because that is where the symbols for the turning chain 3 are.  

to get started on row 1, just begin with the marked stitch for your size.  Don't skip chains of your foundation chain, except as indicated in the diagram.  you have made different lenght of foundation chain according to the size you are making so that should work out correctly with the different chunks of the pattern that you will make on each edge.  

which size are you making?  

Thank you for your reply! I am making the smallest size. I think I understand now :) So after my base chain, the beginning of my row 1 would be:

DC, chain, DC, chain, DC, chain, DC, chain x3, DC, chain, DC, chain, DC, chain, DC

Am I on the right track?

yes you are right i think.  the 4th and 5th dc are made into the same stitch.  i think you do need to skip one chani after the turning chain, the C is directly under a skipped chain.  so according to the very right edge of the diagram, you will make your first dc into the 6th chain from the hook.

I will be interested to hear how this goes, if you feel like posting.  

Oh bah, I think I'm doing something else wrong! It says to chain 115 with a size 3 hook (6.5mm) but that is HUGE and could almost wrap round me twice! It's only meant to be the back! I tried with a 4mm hook too and it's still far too big... Am I reading something wrong?

in what hook size system is a size 3 equivalent to 6.5mm?  I am not familiar with it.

the company says a 3 mm knitting nedle is recommended.  So  I think size 3 hook is more likely to mean 3mm hook.  

you could use a 6.5 mm hook with light weight yarn for something really open like a lacy shawl, but this looks liek it is fairly tightly crocheted.  

also, are you using the recommended yarn?  

I have some old (circa 1970) US hooks that are dual marked, one says "F same as size 3"  --  which is 3.75mm.  It looks like the wool company is in Holland so may be another sizing system though.

Regardless, the designer's gauge is 25 sts and 10 rows in pattern=10x10cm. , so use whatever hook you need to hit that gauge.

This pattern calls out a sport weight yarn, UK 5 ply, US #2 weight, so an F hook sounds about right.  There doesn't appear to be a US 3mm, E=3.5mm , D=3.25mm, C=2.75mm

Thanks so much for your help, it's coming along nicely! I have a question about doing the front V-neck though... In the written instructions it says:

!At neck edge alternately decrease 5 times 2 sts, every 2 rows and 6 times 2 sts,

every row. Work to same length as back and fasten off."

Any chance someone could explain this in another way? I'm unsure if it means crochet 2 together every second row 5 times, then crochet 2 together every row 6 times, or if it means to crochet 2 together 5 times or what it means really! :(

Hmmm....OK let's see.

Alternately is bolded so they want to be sure we see that.  so it must mean to alternate the instructions.

to decrease 2 you need to dc3 tog (so you turn 3 sts into 1) or just skip 2 sts.  

So I guess you would , after dividing for the the neck, do the decrease on that first row (#1 0f the 6 on every row)..  then do a row worked even.  then do a decrease row (#1 of the 5 on every other row).  next row is also a decrease row (#2 of the 6 on every row).  next row work even.  next row a decrease row (#2 of the 5 on every other row).  Next row a decrease (#3 of the 6 on every row).  and so  on.  

that is my best guess!   :P 

Archived