Ripple Afghan

Galathiel

Question

Starting a new project, a large afghan for the house (I love snuggling under my husband's old afghan, an extra large one). I've only seen ripple afghans using the skip a stitch instead of using decreases to make the valleys.  I'm trying to see which way to go, but due to my inexperience, I immediately get overwhelmed just looking at a new pattern.  Trying for something like this one:

http://daisycottagedesigns.net/crochet/large-ripple-afghan-crochet-pattern/

Embarrassing that I get stumped at the very beginning. 

Row 1: dc in the third chain from hook. dc in the next 4 stitches. dc2tog, dc2tog. dc in the next 4 stitches. *work 2 dc in the next 2 stitches. dc in the next 4 stitches. dc2tog, dc2tog. dc in the next 4 stitches. End with two dc in the last chain. Ch 2, turn.

The turning chain counts as a dc so there are basically 6 dcs (right??), then the decreases .. what does the instruction mean?  does that all work into each of the next 4 stitches? Or does that mean I will combine 2 stitches and then do a dc in the combined one? then do it one more time?  Ugh...I think I'm confusing myself even more and probably everyone else!

10 answers to this question

Sometimes it helps to break down a long instruction into little pieces. I've added a little in red for clarification:

Row 1: 

dc in the third chain from hook.

(1) dc in (each of) the next 4 stitches.

dc2tog, (in the next stitch)

dc2tog. (in the next stitch)

(1) dc in (each of) the next 4 stitches. 

The part below gets repeated across until you have only 1 chain left.

*work 2 dc in (each of) the next 2 stitches.

dc2tog, (in the next stitch)

dc2tog. (in the next stitch)

End with two dc in the last chain.

Ch 2, turn.

You are making mountain tops (top 2 stitches), valleys (bottom 2 stitches), and mountainsides (side 4 stitches).  

The mountain tops have increases in the top 2 stitches 

The valleys have increases in the bottom 2 stitches

Each set of mountaintop and valley increases 2, then decreases 2, so the stitch count remains constant overall.

One thing with ripples is that you do have to pay attention to your stitch count, or things will start to go astray.  This is a short-sided, shallow ripple so it should be easier to eyeball the stitch count .

Thanks :) I think I'll get out some leftover yarn and do a little practice.  I watched the tutorial and that made the dec a lot more clear ... now I'm confused about how you do the increase ....typical!

My mom always did a plain ole ..dc 6, 3dc in next stitch, dc 6, skip next stitch. 

Your mom's pattern doesn't come out even...must have been 2 dc into 1 at the peak if she only skipped 1 at the valley, or she must have skipped 2 in the valley if she did 3 dc into 1 at the peak.

Here is one that looks nice, and I'll bet is even easier - no increases or decreases per se (just skipped stitches and a chain space), also easier to count stitches probably.

http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/ripple-throwback

edit - I found a pattern that skips two at the valley with an increase of 3 at the top.  It's in Dutch, but it has a stitch schematic

http://www.kervei.blogspot.nl/2012/10/ripple-tutorial-verschillende-ins-en.html

Thanks for taking the time to find some visuals for me.  Being left-handed seems to have thrown people a little that are around here that could help in person, so I'm kinda muddling along on my own for the most part (and with all y'all's help!). 

I did take a class at Joann's and learned how to make a woven stitch scarf.  That was fun, but tedious.  Then I made an infinity scarf and that was a LOT of fun once I figured out how to use that enormous hook and get the tension even.

My husband is so impressed (that I've actually completed things).  I've made a dog collar, pot holder, baby receiving blanket (approx 38"x40") and two scarves.  It's funny, I've tried to crochet in the past, but it just really didn't click.  This time is going so much better ... not that you could tell by all the questions I ask.

Thank you!

I decided to follow the tutorial and R1 came out just right (chained 24+3 for my practice); Unfortunately, the tutorial doesn't show all the way to the end of R2 and with row 2 I seem to have lost a stitch somewhere.  My increases and decreases seem to be at the right spots, but I ended up with one less stitch, unless I'm supposed to go into the top of the chain 3 from the previous row (doubt it).  So for R2, I now have 23 "Vs" to go into.  I've examined and cross examined it and can't figure out why it's wrong when I have the right number and types of stitches in the first row:  chain 3, 4 DC, 2 decr, 3 DC, 2 incr, 3 DC, 2 decr, 3 DC, 1 incr.

almost every pattern that uses dc does count the turning chain as a stitch, which means you do stitch into it on the following row.  

i'm not sure which pattern you used but there is a 99% chance that youare supposed to st into the top of the turning ch3.  

Archived