Sell, buy or trade hooks !

Hi everyone I'm new here this is my very first post! I'm a bit of a new bee to the " yarn section" of the craft world. I have discovered I'm a bates girl ... And I bought a set of 8 quick silver Susan bates hooks , and it's not the same as my old Susan bates hook that I found at a thrift store it says made in USA on it . ( apparently the don't make them here any more) anyway I'm looking for some of the older ones either to trade or purchase ( I know it's a long shot! ) I have a bone hook ( I think it's bates ) and a few older boye hooks as well as a collection of the bamboo handle bates hooks . Thanks all ! Happy hookin ' :)

• 5 months later...

You are soooo right! It's a long shot!

Those of us here who like our Bates hooks, loooove our Bates hooks, and don't usually want to part with them. We want more older ones too,

I have older ones from when I first learned to crochet, and I'd never get rid of them. Of course, over the years I've bought more sets because I tend to like leaving hooks in projects, and I always have lots of projects in process.

One way I have gathered a few more Bates hooks is to be surprised by finding them in boxes of yarn from friends and from yard sales. This is probably your best bet for finding a few over the years.

A couple years ago, my best girlfriend brought me a huge box of yarn from one of her sisters who had cleaned out a closet and decided to get rid of all her old craft stuff. This yarn was wonderful, and clean because it was all in plastic bags. I was in yarn heaven! Then, at the bottom, in with small tangled stuff, were 4 hooks! Eeeeeeee!!! Old Bates hooks!

So you never know where you may find some. Good luck.

I, too, have gathered a few old hooks at yard sales.  And, like Real Deal, I'm reluctant to let go of them!  :(  So-o-o-o--all I can do is wish you good luck!  If you list the sizes you'd like to find, maybe that will help!  Good Luck!!  :yes 

I have another idea. Jimbo (he posts on this thread regularly) carves wooden hooks with the Bates type head. His hooks are absolutely gorgeous and he puts them up for auction every now and again.

Archived