beginner needs help pattern reading!

Emms09

Question

Hoping someone can help, I've just gotten into crocheting and have picked it up quite quickly but have just started a project Frida the Flamingo and am having real difficulties in making the wings. The pattern reads:

1. Ch 4

2. inc in 2nd St from hook, sc 1, sc 4 in last St, turn, sc 1, inc in last St

3. sc even around

Its row 2 I don't understand. Can someone explain it to me?

Many thanks in advance!

7 answers to this question

welcome to the ville! 

is this the pattern? https://www.etsy.com/listing/78731689/frida-the-flamingo-amigurumi-crochet

Row 2 as you posted it, is rather unclear to me.  I am not sure where you are supposed to stitch after you turn.  

The seller says "I want you to be completely satisfied with your creation! The pattern contains photos, but if you have any questions or are stuck, please feel free to contact me via email or through Etsy."  so I would not hesitate to contact her to ask any questions!  You paid $4 for the pattern, I think it is reasonable to take the seller up on her promise to help.  

Many thanks for your response. Sadly I did not purchase it from etsy but as part of a book of amigurumi patterns. At least I know now it's not my inexperience and it definitely does not make sense!

If you're aware of anyone who has the pattern and can confirm the right stitching it would be much appreciated.

Thank you again.

If that is the pattern that Magiccrochetfan linked, I'm guessing that the wing is started by working around both sides of a short chain, like you would make an oval.  But the instructions you posted do not make that clear at all.

You have chained 4, and will be working into 3 of those chains in round 2.  The unused chain is the turning chain

2. inc in 2nd St from hook, sc 1, sc 4 in last St, turn,

The turn is not the usual turn,  you are not working back and forth but in a long skinny round.

You will be now working into the unused loop of the chain underneath the ones you worked into above.  

The 4 stitches in the last stitch 'turn the corner', forming the end of the first half of the round and the beginning of the next half

sc 1, inc in last St

These stitches will be made into the unused loops beneath the chains of the remaining 2 stitches.

Oh crud, I totally missed that the linked pattern wasn't the one.  (Magiccrochetfan is so good at finding patterns I just figure that was the right one :lol)

I think what I was describing might be right though, because round 2 has 4 stitches in each of the 2 ends, with 1 stitch in each side, which makes sense for working around both sides of the chain to start a flat thing in the round. 

Archived