Pattern Help Please! Bernat Patchwork Blanket Pattern

LindsB1986

Question

I am fairly new to crochet - I have made a toddler hat and a large chevron blanket thus far.

I am just starting my next project, a patchwork blanket - pattern available online for free from Yarnspirations/Bernat Link: http://com.yarnspirations.pattern-pdfs.s3.amazonaws.com/WEB-B-SCHNK-PatchworkBlanket-ENG%281%29.pdf

I have just started the foundation chain and am already stuck. The pattern states: With A, ch 16. *With B, ch 17. With A, ch 17. Rep from * twice more. With A, ch 2. 120 ch total.

I have made 16 chain stitches with colour A, now it is time to chain 17 stitches with colour B, but i have no clue how to do that. Do i start a new chain at the slipknot? 

The pattern notes: To change color, work to last 2 loops on hook and draw new color through last 2 loops and proceed, keeping color change to WS of work. As this is a chain, i don't have more than one loop on my hook at a time so this note is of no help to me at the moment.

If someone could have a look at the pattern and help me understand how to change colours that would be awesome. 

In some of my online searching i have found that others who have tried this pattern have just made all of the squares and then laced them together at the end. I am not in a rush for this project and would like to avoid doing it this way. I want to learn how to complete this pattern as written. Appreciate any help!

Thank you in advance!

5 answers to this question

I am fairly new to crochet - I have made a toddler hat and a large chevron blanket thus far.

I am just starting my next project, a patchwork blanket - pattern available online for free from Yarnspirations/Bernat Link: http://com.yarnspirations.pattern-pdfs.s3.amazonaws.com/WEB-B-SCHNK-PatchworkBlanket-ENG%281%29.pdf

I have just started the foundation chain and am already stuck. The pattern states: With A, ch 16. *With B, ch 17. With A, ch 17. Rep from * twice more. With A, ch 2. 120 ch total.

I have made 16 chain stitches with colour A, now it is time to chain 17 stitches with colour B, but i have no clue how to do that. Do i start a new chain at the slipknot? 

The pattern notes: To change color, work to last 2 loops on hook and draw new color through last 2 loops and proceed, keeping color change to WS of work. As this is a chain, i don't have more than one loop on my hook at a time so this note is of no help to me at the moment.

If someone could have a look at the pattern and help me understand how to change colours that would be awesome. 

In some of my online searching i have found that others who have tried this pattern have just made all of the squares and then laced them together at the end. I am not in a rush for this project and would like to avoid doing it this way. I want to learn how to complete this pattern as written. Appreciate any help!

Thank you in advance!

I have never come across a pattern like this, but it makes good sense to me!  As you go along, just do as the directions say, and pull up a loop (of the next color)to make the next chain.  In other words, make the first 16 chains with color A, then pull color B through and make your next 17 chains, then pull color A through and make 17 more chains.  The only thing is, this will leave a long piece of yarn at the back of the work.  You have to be careful when you're changing colors not to pull the yarn tight, or it will pucker.  And you will need to work over those long stretches of yarn as you go along your next row.  GOOD LUCK!  Let us know how you're doing!

Thank you! That makes sense. I should have thought just to work over the loose yarn.

One more question for using that approach, what should i do with the free end of color B? If i loop it through to make the 17 chains, how do i tie off the loose end that i looped through color A?

Thank you! That makes sense. I should have thought just to work over the loose yarn.

One more question for using that approach, what should i do with the free end of color B? If i loop it through to make the 17 chains, how do i tie off the loose end that i looped through color A?

Just work it into the stitches on the wrong side, and hide it, as you would any free end.  That way, you don't have to tie it.

The instructions specifically tell you that you will have separate balls of yarn for each block.  Don't work over the end of an unused color across a row, because it will make the blanket a bit thicker and stiffer than it should be; if you leave it hanging, the spot where you left off will be where you need to pick it up when you turn and come back to that color.  

The instructions for changing colors describe what to do when you are making a color change in sc; for the foundation chain row, just grab the next ball and pull thru with the new color as Avon Lady described.  The chains may be a bit loose at the joining, but you can adjust them when you turn and stitch into them.

As far as the ends of each color when you first join them, use a large eyed needle to leave about 6 inches of tail and don't work over them, weave them in through the middle of the yarn used to form the stitches--work in a couple of directions to secure them.  When you just work over tails, it loosens the stitch over them and the tails can come out easily.  

Archived