HELP - Stuck on Cable Section of Boot Topper Pattern

milney

Question

Hi .. On row 16 (start of cable section) the row reads as follows:

Ch 1, sc in each of next 2 sts, *working around sts of row 13, sk next 4 sc, fpdc around each of next 2 sc of row 13 (5th and 6th sc sts), working in front of fpdc just made, fpdc around each of 2 sk sc of row 13 (3rd and 4th sc sts)**, sc in each of next 4 sc of row 15, rep from * across, ending last rep at **, sc in each of next 2sc, turn. (28 fpdc,28sc)

I've gotten to the point where I sc in each of the next 4 sc of row 15 & then start at the * again.  What 4 stitches do I skip in row 13?? The ones below the 4 sc I just made or do I go over 8.  I'm confused..

What am I missing?  I don't think there should be any stitches below the 4 sc on row 16.  But, If I skip another 4, it's such a huge stretch with the yarn. 

Hope someone can help me.  Thanks.

Janice

7 answers to this question

i think there is a mistake.  if you skip 4 sts, then do your post sts, then go back and do the crossing post stitches in only 2 of the skipped sts, you will have a gap where there are no sts at all.  

what is the name and location of the pattern?  

Ok, well there is not a very big photo, but I sure don't see any gaps.  So...look at the pattern again...

Ch 1, sc in each of next 2 sts, *working around sts of row 13, sk next 4 sc, fpdc around each of next 2 sc of row 13 (5th and 6th sc sts), working in front of fpdc just made, fpdc around each of 2 sk sc of row 13 (3rd and 4th sc sts)

the skip 4 sts is wrong.  It actually gives the stitch count...you work in 2 sts, then you skip X number of sts, then you do the fpdc in stitch #5 and 6, then do the cross sts in stitches #3 and 4.  so do the 2 sc, then in the row 13 you do fpdc in stitch 5 and 6 (skipping 3 and 4) , then do the cross fpdc in stitches #3 and 4.  So you do only skip 2 after the sc.  

i notice in the interview you linked to that it says to make the fpdc loose, sometimes i have used triples instead of doubles to get the needed length.  

you have to think of the stitches in vertical columns and once you have done a post stitch into row 13, the corresponding stitch in row 15 is "taken"---you don't go back and work into it.    so the sc start in the stitch of 15 right after the last "taken" stitch.  Then the next cable section is in the 4 sts right after that.  notice in the interview she says "4. The four stitches, on the working row that are behind the post stitches, must remain unworked. The post stitches make your stitch count."

basically your row 15 is made up of sets of 4 sts:  4 sts that you sc inot, then 4 sts left unworked because you are post stitching into their counterparts in row 13. 

Archived