I need help with increasing

Julie Garfoot

Question

I'm a beginner to crocheting! Can anyone advise me as none of my crocheting friends know!!!

I'm doing a 7treble shell pattern cardigan,I'm increasing the sleeves with 1treble at each end of the work,but I have ither a 1/2v stitch at the end or a double crochet! I'm not sure where to put the treble! Any ideas? X

7 answers to this question

The pattern is in a book called Golden hands crochet collection.published about 70s or80s its English terminology.

The pattern is a chunky buttoned cardigan and here is where I'm stuck!

Working 5 rows in pattern untill I have 5 shells Working inc sts into pattern where poss,inc 1 tr at each end of the next and every alternate rows untill I have 7 shells.

At each end of the rows I have ither a double crochet and 3 chains or 2 chains,or a 1/2 v stitch which is 1 dc into first stitch 3 chain then tr in the same stitch! I don't know where to put the inc stitch? Hope you can help thankyou! X

So the pattern writer really leaves it up to the crocheter to figure out the increases, that's helpful! Love those older patterns.

You have to add six tr to each end. How many rows do you have to do this over?

Over 8 alternate rows, i would take to mean: counting the point you are at before this transition as row zero, you would increase on row 2, 4 ,6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16.

Sometimes things with V-stitches will increase by gradually sprouting 2 V-stitches out of 1.  Will sprouting over the chain spaces at each end  work?  Just a thought.  Can you tell what was done by looking at the photo?

Archived