Headband Hell

Carolyn Beatty

Question

4 answers to this question

I've had some patterns that felt that way! I'm afraid I don't have any advise on the headband, but to edit, open the thread. Then on your first post click on edit at the bottom of the post. When that opens look for use full editor at the bottom and that will let you change the title. Good luck with the headband!

Well your title is good for a laugh!  ;-)  

Welcome to the ville!

I am not sure any part of that headband is crocheted---things are often mislabeled because somebody thinks an item has a crochet look.  

the band looks like braid to me, probably more than 3 strands.  the flowers might be crocheted, it is hard to tell from the photo.  

I went to the abeautifulmess site and searched a bit to hopefully find a bigger photo, but did not see anything like that .  However there seems to be a lot of re-using, so i wonder if the band is a repurposed handbag strap, or belt?  

Not crochet, some kind of braided or woven work. If you have any scrap material around, try making a four-part flat braid and see if that does it. You can also do the Aleene's "fake braid" and see if that's close enough for you; it's smooth and stretchy:

In the middle of a long piece of yarn or ribbon, make a slipknot.

Grab the other side of the yarn at the base of the slipknot and shove a loop through the slipknot, then tighten it. Make a loop at the base of that side of the knot and push it through the loop just made. Keep doing that until the not-braid is as long as you want. (I need to be able to show you a picture, but my camera's over in the house.) It takes a little "huh? what?" for a couple of minutes, but once you get it you'll be able to do it with all kinds of materials.

Archived