Help reading a pattern

Yogi

Question

Hi everyone.  I'm looking some help in reading a crochet pattern.  This is my first attempt in following a pattern and I'm totally lost!!!  I normally follow along on youtube.

My pattern reads; 3ch (counts as 1tr) (1 tr, 4ch, 1tr) all into next dc, * 1tr into each next of next 2dc, (1tr, 4ch, 1 tr)all into next dc. 

I know what each stitch is, it's just the start 3ch (counts as 1 tr) that has thrown me. 

Do I chain 3 then 1tr, 4ch, 1tr or is this 3ch part of this group????

I hope this makes sense

2 answers to this question

The chain-3 serves 2 purposes, (1) to bring your work up to the height of the next row or round, (2) it takes the place of the first stitch* in the row/round for triple crochet or taller stitches. The chain-1 turning chain doesn't count as a stitch for DC typically.  (using UK terms, which your pattern seems to be in).

When you come to that ch-3 at the end of the next row, because it counts as a stitch, you will have to work into it so you don't lose a stitch.

* it counts as a stitch 99.9999% of the time.  Normally patterns don't mention that the turning chain counts as a stitch, it would only need a remark if it didn't.

Archived