help with a beginner pattern please?

levithesaint

Question

Hi,

I'm attempting this beanie. The pattern reads:

CH 5, SL ST in first chain to form ring. (You could also use a Magic Ring here, if you prefer. It just depends on your preference or the weight of yarn used.)
Round 1: CH 1 (counts as first SC until otherwise noted), 5 SC in ring, SL ST to join to first SC. (6 SC)
Round 2: CH 1. 2 SC in each SC around. Join. (12 SC)
Round 3: CH 1. SC in same ST as join. SC in next ST. *2 SC in next ST, 1 SC in next ST*. Repeat from * to * around. Join. (18 SC)
Round 4: CH 1. SC in same ST. SC in next 2 STs. *2 SC in next ST, SC in next 2 STs*. Repeat from * to *. Join. (24 SC)
Round 5: CH 1. SC in same ST. SC in next 3 STs. *2 SC in next ST, SC in next 3 STs*. Repeat from * to *. Join. (30 SC)
Round 6: CH 1. SC in same ST. SC in next 4 STs. *2 SC in next ST, SC in next 4 STs*. Repeat from * to *. Join. (36 SC)
Round 7:  CH 1. SC in same ST. SC in next 5 STs. *2 SC in next ST, SC in next 5 STs*. Repeat from * to *. Join. (42 SC)

i'm confused about the "CH 1 (counts as first SC until otherwise noted). Am i missing a point where it becomes otherwise noted, or am i to assume the CH 1 counts as first SC throughout this entire section?

Thanks for your feedback.

2 answers to this question

It would be my guess that the designer uses this notation in most patterns and just failed to remove it.  It doesn't affect the pattern and designers often have a million things on their minds and so miss bits like this.  It's part of  my "be ready to crochet by the seat of your pants".

Archived