Help a newbie please!

Heidi8776

Question

I've started making hats and my main goal to to donate them to a nicu. I have twin girls who are almost 2 and they were there for a while. Anyways, my hats aren't coming out right. The back comes down at a point. Once I figure out how to add a picture I'll do that. Any ideas on why this happens?

Thank you!!

post-73861-0-36092000-1421428553_thumb.jpg

post-73861-0-25311300-1421428571_thumb.jpg

16 answers to this question

Looks much better!  :cheer

If you are ready for a more advanced trick, or to keep in mind for later...in the traditional way of joining rounds, there is always a little 'seam', and it's a little more obvious when changing colors each round...I think the 'seam' in your hat is typical, and not that noticeable.  But...there are ways to disguise that seam - here is one, you may find others by googling 'invisible crochet seam in the round'.  This explains 2 different things, one to make your "finish off' look flawless, the other is to use a 'standing' stitch to start the next round (eliminates the chain-3 start).

http://www.lookatwhatimade.net/crafts/yarn/crochet/crochet-tutorials/crochet-invisible-join-vs-slip-stitch-join/

A disadvantage is that you have to cut the yarn each round, you can't carry it up on the inside of the hat like you can with the traditional method.

I'm late to the party here, but I agree with Magiccrochetfan that you are adding stitches at the join.  I did an illustration (for a similar issue that came up a while back) to show a spot that looks like a stitch you should be working into, but isn't - see below, red arrow.  

Your pointy spot is the buildup of increases on top of the same spot for many rows,. 

post-13625-0-24901500-1421447974_thumb.jpg

you're welcome :hook

the explanation of the 2 different numbers is at the beginning, under the photo.  it's very brief but the info is there.  note it also recommends different hook sizes for the yarn categories.  

the pattern is written in an unusual way.  it includes directions for category 3 and 4 yarn.  the first number is for cat 3 and the second

number in parentheses is for cat 4 yarn.  Either way, round 3 is the last increase round, which has either 48 or 36 stitches, so you continue with that number of sts for the rest of the hat.  

you can put a marker in the first st of the round( the turning ch3) and the last st right before you do the sl st to join; marking those sts may help.

Also count at the end of each round to be sure you have the right # of sts.  

Thank you! I just watched the video. Do you think my mistakes could be that instead of going through both front and back loops I only go through the front loop? That might explain the added extra height. My stitch count is correct. It just looks like a big gap and then becomes uneven as shown in the picture.

Annies has a description and illustration https://www.anniescatalog.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=18

in the video the relevant part is almost at the end, at aboout 5:30

Be sure you are doing the slip sttich correctly.

it almost looks like you are adding stitches at the point where you join the rounds.   Is your stitch count correct?  

Archived