Can you define stitches from picture.

lorenz

Question

This is a picture of a motif medallion tablecloth made by my grandmother 50 years ago.  Unfortunately, some of the stitches have unraveled and need repair.  Is is possible to indentify the stitches from this picture?  The motif is approximently 1 1/2 inches square and crocheted with a very fine thread.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks! 

post-73491-0-19505500-1417887701_thumb.jpg

7 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

I don't know what pattern that came from, but the individual stitches are just DC (or possibly triples - I'm using US terms)  and chains.

It looks like it would be easy to reverse engineer.  It's only 3 rounds.  I can't quite squint well enough to count the stitches in the photo, but it would be easy to do with the original close at hand.

I'd start with an adjustable ring, then count the number of ( I'll assume triples) in the center.  

The next ring is probably triple into each stitch below, chain 1.  

The third ring looks like *2 triples into a chain space, 3 triples in the next chain space, chain 1 or possibly 2, 2 triples into the next chain space, 3 triples in the next chain space, chain a whole bunch, repeat.

The subsequent motifs are 'joined as you go' as you make the last round, where the chain spaces are.  

Thank you for your input Granny Square.  I did do some expermimenting yesterday.  I think maybe the first row is a unfinished double four times ending up with four loops on hook, yarn over, put through all four loops.  I don't know what that would be called, but it produces a nice compact stitch, which is what I am looking for.  Unfortunately, I have no thread as of yet and I am using some yarn which makes it hard to tell if the stitches are the ones I am looking for.  I know my grandmother always purchased her thread at Ben Franklin, but I don't think they are in business any more.  I will do some searching for thread today.  I have her hook, so that will save some time finding that.  So thanks once again.  I will check back when I have more info.  Have a great day. :yay

I think It's all dc or tr with chains in between. I'm  better at doing than writing but this is basically what I see.

rnd 1 make magic ring ch 2 19 dc in ring join

ch3 dc in next dc, ch 1 dc in next dc around ch 1 join in 2nd ch of ch3

sl st into sp ch 2, ,2dc in same sp, 3dc in each of next 3 sps. ch 7 sk a sp (3 dc in each of next 4 sps, ch 7 sk a sp ) repeat between () twice join in top of dc

The motifs are joined between the dcs and  the  chains on the last rnd

Sarisue, wow, thank you so much.  That is amazing.  Unfortunately I live in an area where we have limited shopping.  I am look ing forward to a day trip to a larger town to purchase thread.  May I ask you what size of thread you used and what the dimensions of your finsihed motif is? Again, I thank you soooooooooooo much for your help.  This is amazing!

Glad it helped. I am working on a 2nd one to show how to put them tog. I used size 10 Knit Cro Sheen

Coats and Clark . Size 7 older Susan Bates steel hook.  Across  between the middle of the  dcs is 2-1/2 in, cornered between middle of the chains is 3 in.

Archived