Checking gauge

aimeebell

Question

I am making a shrug with Microspun yarn- what a PITA that yarn is to work with. I did about ten rows and it took a couple hours! I keep loosing a couple strands or getting a strand or two snagged, and it is taking forever. However, that is not my main problem. This yarn is pretty stretchy. I made a little gauge swatch and figured how many stitches I needed to get to 13 inches. After a couple rows of making the body of the shrug I rechecked to make sure, and it was 13 inches. After 10 or so rows, I rechecked.......it was a little over 14 inches :think I was gonna pull it apart this morning, but I noticed it had looked smaller. Sure enough, it is back down to thirteen inches LOL

My question is, when checking gauge do you give the yarn a slight stretch when measuring? Or just lay it flat and measure. I just layed it flat, but think giving it a slight stretch might be more accurate?

If I have to pull it apart, I am gonna start with a different yarn and use this microspun for smaller projects!

2 answers to this question

I cant be alot of help here as I dont check guage very often but it sounds like you are useing the mrs who shrug schematics, I am doing the same one right now. Here is what my verdict would be, and I had to think about this last night cause I am useing red heart symphony and it is also stretching.If it "bounces back" you should be ok, you will just have a stretchy shrug. It will probably conform to your arm better. and you have to consider that you may sometines wear it over a shirt with sleeves and will need a little stretch to allow for the extra bulk. It also sounds like we are about the same size, my beginning ch was also 13 inches so let me know how it turns out and I will also keep you informed;)

I just completed a shrug using Microspun, have a thread posted in Clothing Show and Tell about it, as well as a lot on my blog (beware, a lot of ranting to be found, lol! But for a different reason, had no major problems with the yarn itself. More on that later). It sounds like you are working your piece from the short end, I used the shrug schematics and worked my piece longwise: elbow to elbow (starting chain of 152 for the pattern stitch I was using). I couldn't tell you if there's any difference as far as which direction you make the starting piece, I'd have to assume it won't matter all that much. The only thing I can think of that would be affected by it is the direction of your stitch pattern. Your way will have it lying sideways ("striped" from top to bottom) across your back. Strictly a matter of preference is my guess. But it did occur to me that working it from the short end reduces your options for adjusting it if it turns out too big or small for you. Forgive me, I'm thinking out loud here!

For this particular pattern, gauge isn't too critical, really, and from what you've said, I don't think it should be a problem at all. At 13 inches, assuming you're a small gal, it should be a relatively snug fit but be "breathable". You don't want to feel like you're wearing body armor with this thing, lol! The Microspun is marvelously soft and yes, a bit stretchy - but NOT "stretch till it sags" kind of stretchy. It's got a good memory, as your gauge checking discovered!

Regarding the splitting problem, I've found that you definitely MUST work your stitches loosely with this yarn, and that should solve most of your splitting problems. The only time I had trouble with splits and snags was when I tensed up (from my anxiety, was on a serious deadline), which naturally caused my stitches to tighten up as well. THEN it was hair pulling time! I had to rip out and redo many stitches for that reason only, in order to resmooth the snagged strands back in.

HTH.

Archived