Granny ripple throw help

Jamela1989

Question

I am brand new to crocheting. I am attempting to make a contemporary granny ripple throw by red heart. I have only done row 1 but I am afraid that is already wrong so I attached a photo. Please let me know what I did wrong. My second question is at the end of the pattern for the first row it says " turn- 9 points" what does points mean? What do I do here? The pattern can be found at www.redheart.com/free-patterns/contemporary-granny-ripple-throw . Thanks for your help!

post-73392-0-25368300-1416793419_thumb.jpg

9 answers to this question

welcome to the ville!

the 9 points is just telling you that you have created 9 points in this row.  

when we crochet a ripple pattern, the first row and even the first several rows do not look like a ripple.  You need to make more rows before the ripple design will be visible.  if there is a problem with your first row, I don't think it can be seen in your photo because the photo is blurry and the work so far is twisted around.  it's possible the twisting is caused by your tension being too tight, or the beginning chain being too tight.  can you straighten it and flatten it out?  

http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/contemporary-granny-ripple-throw

I think this is the pattern? 

In this case, since it's a granny-type pattern, the decreases are achieved by skipping stitches.

A ripple is made up of peaks and valleys, ^^^^^^^^^   The peaks (or points in your pattern) are made by increasing (in your pattern 2 groups of 3 dcs with a ch-3 between), the valleys by decreasing, or in your pattern by skipping 5 chains in row 1.

Look at your pattern--here is the middle  of row 1

*(3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc) in next ch for point, [skip next 2 ch, 3 dc in next ch] twice **, skip next 5 ch, [3 dc in next ch, skip next 2 ch] twice;

Here is the above, broken down in points and valleys - the pattern already tells you where the point is
*(3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc) in next ch for point  ^
[skip next 2 ch, 3 dc in next ch] twice (this is the left side of the hill, heading to the valley) /
** (ignore this until you get to 3 stitches from the end of the row.  This just is a marker to stop and do something different, but only at the end of the row)
skip next 5 ch, (this is the valley) V
[3 dc in next ch, skip next 2 ch] twice (this is the side of the hill heading up to the next peak) \

I hope this helps to visualize it?  As Magiccrochetfan said, it is a little hard to see in the first row.

Archived