Is this pattern counting stitches wrong?

MarylandLaurie

Question

Hi, I'm trying to make a hat from a pattern and I'm stuck not because I can't do the stitches, but because my stitch count is very different from what the pattern says it should be.  In round 2 there were 12 "V stitches" made meaning 24 double crochets.  Everything was fine.  Then in round 3 the pattern says, "  * V st (2 dc) in next V st, V st in next space between V sts, V st in next V st, repeat from * around - 36 dc or 18 V sts. "  

I've done this round, got the wrong count, pulled it out, did it again slowly, and no matter what I get 48 dcs (24 V sts).  I even drew it out on paper.  What am I doing wrong to get so many fewer stitches?  I marked the beginning of the round, so I know where I started.  Am I not understanding what the pattern means?  Thank you all for any help!   Take care!   

5 answers to this question

at first i had the same confusion but upon careful rereading, the pattern actually is right.  it will go like this---  v in v, v in space, v in v, v in v, v in spce, v in v, v in v.....because that is what you get when you repeat exactly what is between the asterisks.  

What it boils down to is, to get 18 V sts, just do a V in every V, and also do a V in the space between Vs six time---that will be into every second space between Vs.  

and welcome to the ville :hook

Thank you so much for your reply!  So instead of placing my first "V" (2 dcs) into the first space between the 2 dcs which make up the first V, I should instead be putting a V (2dcs) into the actual first dc of the first V?   So one V would get 2 dcs into dc one of the V and 2 dcs into dc two of the V?   I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help!

That is confusing, isn't it--I had to read it a few times as well.

If it had said 

"  * V st (2 dc) in next V st, V st in next space between V sts, repeat from * around", you would have doubled your V stitches.  The beginning of the repeat is a V in V, the end is a v in space.

Instead, it said 

* V st (2 dc) in next V st, V st in next space between V sts, V st in next V st, repeat from * around.  So, the beginning and end of the repeat sequence is a V stitch, to skip every other space.

I should instead be putting a V (2dcs) into the actual first dc of the first V?   So one V would get 2 dcs into dc one of the V and 2 dcs into dc two of the V? 

No, i think you should put the v into the top of the v, between the 2 "arms" of the v stitch.  

what exactly is hte pattern? where can we see it?  

Thank you Magiccrochetfan and Granny Square!  Both of you are completely right and it took my dense brain forever to comprehend what you both were saying.  I read it and read it and decided I'm too stupid to breathe much less crochet, and thought I should toss my hooks, give the yarn to the goodwill, and start beekeeping, but I went and got my yarn and read exactly what both of you wrote and it worked!!  I finally understood and I got the right stitch count!  I can't thank you both enough.  I couldn't get it through my head that I had to skip every other space between V stitches.  Now that I've finished round 3 I'm going to tackle the rest and try to open my closed up brain!  Magiccrochetfan, the pattern is in an ancient magazine called "McCall's How To Crochet It Book One".  THANK YOU guys again!  :)

Archived