Attaching snaps to crocheted item?

PaulasPatterns

Question

Hi there,

I made this dog sweater recently, and I just had a custom request for another one that has snaps instead of buttons. I've never worked with snaps....can someone please give me guidance and advice on which ones to buy and how they attach? The main pattern of the sweater is basketweave using a size I hook, so it's fairly thick with wide gaps between stitches...I'm not sure how one would attach traditional snaps to that (as far as I know, they're either sewn on or pressed together from each side of the fabric, on each piece).  I thought maybe I will need to sew a strip of fabric on first to give the snaps something to go on.

Help please!  Links to the specific snaps I should get would be helpful too...I saw there are many different kinds for different materials and ways of attaching them.

Thank you.

post-73080-0-63706500-1415907872_thumb.jpg

3 answers to this question

If it were me, I'd use a strip of grosgrain ribbon matching the piece on the both snap sides, with sew-on snaps of a largish size.  I've only used smallish ones that have 4 'sew spots' on dress fabric: you'd want to be able to sew it securely.  I wouldn't trust a non sew one for crochet fabric.

Would the customer consider velcro strips or "dots" instead?  That might be an option, sewn on and fastener and backing fabric all in one.  I've used both, without wading  in my stash to check I'd guess the strips and dots are maybe 5/8" wide or so.

He wanted it so it would be stronger, for a dog that plays roughly (honestly I think the buttons would be just fine, but the customer's always right!), so I think velcro might not be a welcome option, especially since it would wear out over time.

I'll think about it more, might go with the strip of ribbon like you said.  Thanks for the input

I wouldn't use velcro, it will stick to the yarn and damage it. I made a jacket for my daughter's dog and only because I had some scraps, of fleece, used it to reinforce  the inside seam  for the snaps. Fleece doesn't unravel, so I didn't even finish the edges.

Granny's idea of grosgrain is good or even just woven tape (not bias binding)

Archived