To Add Size - Is It Better To Use a Bigger Hook, Add Rows/Columns or Do Both?

redrosesdz

Question

I'm working on a mile-a-minute afghan that consists of panels with borders that are later attached.  They include decrative lattice work across each panel.  I just finished the first panel and it's too short.  It's supposed to be 61" and mine is only 51".  When I did the sample swatch, my measurements matched.  I recounted the rows, which is simple because it's 6 colors x 2 rows each x 9 sets of the color blocks.  Adding an sc edge and then a dc edge around the panel of colors added some to the panel's width and length, but not nearly enough.  I've no clue how I lost 10"!  So, I'm counting that as my sample panel.  I bought extra yarn when I was purchasing, because I had already planned to add a few panels to make it wider and wanted to make sure that I had the same lot numbers.

So, here are my choices....

1. Use a bigger hook to make the stitches a bit looser (I tend to crochet tight and am using a G now.)

2. Add 2 more sets of color blocks to each panel (6 colors x 2 rows = 6")

3. Do both 1 & 2.

I don't want to run out of yarn.  The pattern calls for 5 oz of each color and I bought 9.  I'm not as worried about the yarn for the borders and lattice, because I bought 3 pounders for that.  My son is 6' tall, so a 4'3" blanket won't do!  LOL

Which option would you chose?

9 answers to this question

Do you like the fabric you've made with the G hook?  Do you think it would look better if it were a bit looser?  If so, a bigger hook would be the answer.

well, guess I should ask, what yarn you are using?  a G hook is pretty small for worsted.  

It is worsted weight yarn.  I thought the G hook was a bit small, too.  I actually had to buy one, because I didn't have one that small.  It's what the pattern suggested.  

I do like the look of the fabric, because you can't see the holes with the stitches so tight.  It makes it more like a solid blanket, which is what my son wants.  I'm wondering how heavy it might get when he tries to use it.  

I have lots of left over worsted weight yarn.  I think I'll make a swatch with multiple hooks and see what they look like.

Last night I showed someone who crochets a lot my first panel.  She said that even if I use a bigger a hook, it's not going to add the length that I want.  She said I either have to make the panels longer or add my own decrative borders after I finish the pattern.  I might do both.  :)

Yeah, I did use the same yarn.  I just calculated the pattern's sample guage and using it comes out to 56". long.  So, my completed panel was 51", the guage calculates to 56" and the pattern says it's 61".  I'm not going to try to figure out where the extra inches went.

I've decided to add 2 sets of color blocks, which is a foot, to each panel.  If my son doesn't like the length, I'll just add a border around the completed afghan, until he likes it.  This is my first full size blanket.  I've made crib size blankets and throws.  I"m determined to get this done no matter how long it takes.  LOL

Thank you so much for all of your help on this thread and my other thread from earlier!  I'm very grateful for this forum!  :) 

Post a photo when it's done, we'd love to see it!

I've just thought of some factors that can affect row gauge, info here http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/crochet-liberation-front-headquarters/178539/1-25#8  by D Stanziano

and this blog post kind of summarizes several things about it http://crochetpatterncompanion.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-take-control-of-double-crochet.html  by V Braha

I love the quote from J Leinhauser about golden loop and she said it right here on the ville :hook

Wow!  Those are excellent links!  I love the descriptions of yankers vs. riders vs. lifters.  I am a yanker and when doing a dc, my hook is tilted down as I pull through the loops.  My normal stitch is very tight.  My grandmother must have been a yanker, too.  She taught me when I was only 11. 

After practicing several stitch heights, using the lift method, I've found the height that I like best for the pattern I'm doing.  Using a full lift to the height of the starter 3-ch is too much, because the elongated first loop on the dc will throw the border and lattice work out of balance.  Using the tiniest stitch possible is too little, because it's going to be way too much extra yarn to get the length that I want, even with extra rows.  I've settled on a middle lift.  It looks nice, adds more height to the rows and the first loop is a little elongated, but small enough that it shouldn't be noticible when the border and lattice work are added.  I've also learned that if I make sure my hook is straight with each pull through, each dc is level.  I feel like I've learned to crochet all over again!  :)

Glad you found it helpful.  I'm fascinated by all the collected crochet wisdom we have access to now, online and in books.  The Golden Loop for example is something i would never in a million years  have realized on my own, but boy is it helpful.  

Those are interesting links - thanks for sharing them. I'm obviously a rider, because I always compensate with ch-2 turning chains instead of ch-3. I only make afghans, so gauge is never critical, but I'm glad I know this now.

Thanks for sharing them.

Archived