Help with crocheting a beanie!

kbabij

Question

Hi everyone!

I'm working on a very easy crocheted beanie pattern, in the round (that's what it's called when you're going round in circles, yes?)   It starts with a magic loop, you add stitches and eventually work up to 72 stitches, and then continue to add rows with a 2CH at the start of each new row, joining with a slip stitch at the end of each row for about 28 rows before going to a smaller needle to make a slightly tighter brim and finish.

Here's my problem:  at the end of each row, I get a very large hole at the site of the 2 chain stitches... but I'm wondering if it should/can look seamless?  

What I've been doing is DC into each stitch around, and then doing the join through the hole made by the 2CH.   But is that wrong?   Should I be doing the join *after* the 2CH?  Or before it?  (The 2CH is technically the first DC in that row, right?)

Ugh.  This seems like it shouldn't be hard.  Obviously this would have to ultimately be the back of the beanie because it's very obvious to look at, but I feel like there has to be a way that you don't see an obvious "seam".   Or would you always see that and just have to live with it being at the back?

Thanks in advance!!
Kimmy

4 answers to this question

welcome to the ville !

what does the pattern say about the 2ch being the first stitch?  It should specify.  if your patern is free online give us a link to it.

usually if the turning chain counts as a (US) dc, there would be 3 ch, not just 2.  

either way, you don't want to work into the chain space of the 2 ch, that is what leaves the big hole.  you should stitch into the top chain.  but again we need to know exactly what your pattern says/  

Hi Kathy!  

Thanks for the quick response.  Man alive, this is confounding me.  i think I'm going to have to frog everything I've done but I'm okay with that.  These stupid giant holes at the join sites.

Here's the pattern:  http://www.jennlikesyarn.com/2012/03/free-crochet-pattern-really-easy#.VCjkcPldWSq

Now, when you say "stitch into the top chain", I'm still unclear on how that eliminates the hole...?  Am I not slipping the stitch through that gap? 

Here's what I've been doing:  when I am doing the first stitch in the row, I make ch2 for dc, then make the first dc in the same space as the join.  Then, when I reach the end of the row, I ignore the ch2,  (skip over it) and slip stitch in the first dc I made.  This seems to "fill in" that hole.  At least, it works for me!

Now, when you say "stitch into the top chain", I'm still unclear on how that eliminates the hole...?  Am I not slipping the stitch through that gap? 

No you are not going into the gap.  You are stitching into the top chain of the chain2.  Just like you would crochet into the top of a dc stitch. 

the Annies site has a good illustration https://www.anniescatalog.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=18

scroll down to illustration 52.  it shows a chain3 as turning chain, but the principle is the same.  go into the topmost chain.  (by the way, most patterns use 3 chains for the turning chain for dc, although some people don't like the way that looks and so they adjust and only use 2 ch.  I guess this writer preferred 2.)

If you want to eliminate the turning chain, you can do a special starting dc http://www.ravelry.com/projects/TXCr1cket/chainless-starting-dc-stitch---updated    Takes a little practice but it works very well, looks like a regular dc and so it doesn't stand out.  

Archived