FPdc help please! Cant figure out where Im going wrong!

Plo0t

Question

Ok, so I decided to test out making a scarf using alternating FPdc and BPdc stitches. I chained 20 + 2. Did a base of 2 hdc rows. The next row, I alternated...FPdc, BPdc, FPdc, and so on ending with a dc in the last stitch. I chained 3 and then turned. The next row, I alternated BPdc, FPdc, BPdc, and so on, thus creating vertical ridges. However, the more lines I complete, the narrower the piece becomes. Ive done some googling, watched some videos, but I still cant figure out where Im losing stitches!! Anyone have any tips or tricks? I really like the way the texture is building up, so I really dont want to give up on it. :/

4 answers to this question

If you are crocheting too tightly that alternating stitch sometimes just sucks the piece together.  You're probably not skipping any stitches at all - it's just the nature of the beast.

Yes,  I agree with Nancy. It sounds like you are doing it right, maybe try loosening your stitches. That type of stitch pattern will have that effect, which is why it works great for mitten or hat cuffs, or bands on sweaters.

Good luck with your sweater!

Oh my word, thats all it was! Just my tension. Dont know why I never even thought of that! Thanks everybody! Its working up beautifully now!

Archived